Aaron Lennon and Emmanuel Adebayor are to be assessed before Tottenham’s return to league action after t he pair were rested for midweek due to slight hamstring complaints. Kyle Walker continues to miss out following abdominal surgery, while Nabil Bentaleb is absent due to an ankle complaint. Meanwhile, Stoke have Peter Crouch, Phil Bardsley and Marc Muniesa back available, while Marko Arnautovic remains in line to feature despite breaking his hand. Ex-Spurs man Crouch and Bardsley sat out the 2-2 home draw with West Ham last Saturday due to suspensions, while Muniesa was nursing an ankle problem. Although Arnautovic is not expected to be kept out by the injury he suffered in training earlier this week, the same cannot be said of Dionatan Teixeira, who broke his foot on the same day and has joined Robert Huth (calf), Glenn Whelan (broken leg) and and Peter Odemwingie (knee) on the sidelines. Stoke boss Mark Hughes feels his side are heading into the game in improving form despite their relatively barren run of results over the past few weeks. The Potters have not won any of their last three matches in all competitions and only one of their last five, a sequence that has featured three defeats. Their chances of claiming three points at White Hart Lane do not appear promising, given Spurs’ previous five fixtures have yielded four victories. But Hughes believes there have been encouraging signs of late from his men and is looking to the contest in optimistic mood. “It is not an easy fixture – you look at any game against Spurs on the road and, given the quality they have, it is not easy,” Hughes said. “But I sense we are running into a little bit of form. We were disappointed twice against Southampton (in back-to-back defeats in league and cup), but showed a lot better form in the second half of the cup fixture, and then took that into the West Ham game (a 2-2 league draw last Saturday). “We were by far and away the better side on that occasion and didn’t get the maximum points that our performance deserved. “I sense the form is returning and that is encouraging for us.” Those struggles will buoy the Potters ahead of Sunday’s trip to north London, as will the hosts’ unconvincing performances of late. Pochettino’s men were fortunate to scrape through 2-1 winners at Asteras Tripolis on Thursday – producing an inept second-half display which Vertonghen knows would cost them dear if repeated on Sunday. “It was strange because we didn’t win second balls,” the Belgium defender said. “That team can play and the most important thing was they felt they could do something against an English team. “I have been in that position with Ajax playing bigger teams and if you can get some hope you start playing differently and that’s what we gave them ourselves. “It is a long way [off building a winning mentality like Ajax]. It is not [a case of] pick the line-up and you win every game since then. You can have ups and downs. “Of course, we won, but it was not that positive, so we have to analyse this game and see where it went wrong. Then we have to continue and avoid making those mistakes in the next game. “That’s what we have to do against Stoke, because if we make these mistakes against Stoke probably we will lose this game.” Jan Vertonghen knows Tottenham need to vastly improve for the visit of Stoke if they are to avoid another post-Europa League slip-up. Mauricio Pochettino’s side, like so many Spurs outfits before them, have struggled to balance domestic and continental exertions. Already this season Liverpool, West Brom and Newcastle have won at White Hart Lane in games following European ties – the joint-highest number of home defeats in the Barclays Premier League. Press Association
Super-sub Leonardo Ulloa revealed he had just 15 minutes to prepare before his goalscoring heroics as Leicester’s survival bid gathered pace. “After I was starting I was still celebrating with him.” Andy King added a second in the final minute and the Foxes are level on points with 17th-placed Hull with Ulloa insisting confidence his sky high. “We need more points, we know that but we have more confidence now,” he said. “We were starting on the bottom but we have more confidence because we win three games consecutively. “The feeling now is much better than before.” Swansea need a point to net a record points total in the Barclays Premier League having reached 47 this season. They have lost and drawn their last two games and boss Garry Monk admits the pressure is on his players as expectation grows. He said: “Yeah, probably but I’m happy with that, it’s trying to get the players to understand that. There’s more expectation on them this season than any other. This is a big loss for us in terms of what we’re trying to do and what we’re trying to achieve. “We have five opportunities to put it right and every time we’ve had a setback we’ve bounced back and put it right. “I know their commitment, they have been fantastic for me all season. The last five games are a test for us, it’s a test when you achieve something so early. “It’s that next bit, it’s wanting more and how you get to that and that mentality – which a lot of players haven’t had to experience before. “We’ll bounce back for sure.” Ulloa was originally named on the bench and was given minutes to prepare after David Nugent suffered a calf injury in the warm-up. And the 10-goal forward admitted he was forced into a quick change of mindset once he knew he was starting. “I think (I knew) about 15 minutes before kick-off because it was in the final stage of the warm-up when Nuge felt pain to his calf,” he said. “After that they told me. I changed my mentality when the gaffer told me I was starting. “It was a great 30 minutes – maybe the next game is the same. I always want to play and sometimes you cannot but always I am ready for play. “So when the gaffer says to me there is a small problem I am ready for play.” And Ulloa celebrated with the club’s player liaison officer Jon Sanders after a pre-match promise. He said: “Yesterday (Friday) was his birthday and I told him in the warm-up if I am on in the second half for at least 20 minutes I will try to score and celebrate with him. The striker ended a top-flight goal drought stretching back to Boxing Day after scoring the opener in Saturday’s 2-0 win over Swansea. Victory was the Foxes’ third straight Barclays Premier League win and they are now only in the drop zone on goal difference. Press Association
Connacht kept alive their hopes of European Champions Cup qualification with a 40-10 away win over bottom-of-the-table Zebre in the Guinness PRO12. A 10th win of the season, which marks a season’s best for Pat Lam’s men, lifted them level with Scarlets in the all-important sixth place which would secure a place in Europe’s elite knockout competition for next season. Scrum-half John Cooney scored two first-half tries to put the Irishmen on their way to a 10th successive win over the Italian minnows. Brendon Leonard pulled a try back for the home side on 26 minutes and Luciano Orquera closed the gap further with the conversion and a penalty. However, winger Matt Healy also went over for Connacht in the first half, with Jack Carty kicking his third conversion to make it 21-10 at the break, and back rower Eoghan Masterson secured the bonus point with a fourth touchdown 14 minutes into the second half Connacht then pulled away, adding further tries through Tiernan O’Halloran and Shane O’Leary in the final 10 minutes to overwhelm the Italian side, who were led by veteran flanker Mauro Bergamasco in his final home game. Bergamasco, who recently turned 36, is bowing out after 18 years of club rugby at Petrarca Padova, Benetton Treviso, Stade Francais, Aironi and Zebre and will finally hang up his boots after this autumn’s World Cup. Press Association
Press Association Richards was charged by the Football Association following an incident at the end of Villa’s 2-1 defeat to Swansea last Saturday. The tunnel was seen to be shaking from side to side after the teams entered it at the final whistle, with Richards still angry following a first-half clash with Federico Fernandez. Garry Monk says his Swansea players were innocent in the tunnel fracas which left Aston Villa captain Micah Richards facing an improper conduct charge. “It’s sad to see a manager go but the nature of this job is you don’t get time. “It’s something I imagine is going to happen continuously throughout the rest of the season.” Swansea’s next test is against second-placed Arsenal on Saturday, Monk’s men having completed the double over the Gunners last season for only the second time in the club’s history. Bafetimbi Gomis scored the winner in both of those games but the France striker has failed to score in his last six appearances and holds the unwanted record of being caught offside more than any other Premier League player this season. “Defenders want to keep clean sheets, strikers want to score goals and midfielders wants to make assists and score goals themselves,” Monk said. “But it’s about the collective here, never about one player. “The way we’ve played – and take Aston Villa out of it – most of the games before we haven’t performed as a collective. “The pressure is on everyone, not one particular person, to perform in every single game. “That’s the standard and level we’re at, but nobody puts more pressure on ourselves to perform. “Everyone will go through periods where they dip. Whoever scores those goals doesn’t really matter.” Both Richards and Argentina defender Fernandez escaped punishment in relation to that incident as an FA panel judged that neither player had committed an act of violent conduct, but the England international was charged for continuing the argument after the match. “From our side it was the right decision,” Swansea manager Monk said after revealing he had spoken to his players this week about the tunnel incident. “I wasn’t in the tunnel at that point and came out of the dressing room when whatever happened had all finished. “But in terms of my players, and I’ve spoken to them, there was nothing at all from our side. “I can’t speak for Aston Villa but everything from the Swansea side was fine.” Swansea’s Villa Park victory was their first in six Premier League games and lifted the pressure on Monk, who had come under increasing scrutiny during that barren period. But in the end it was Tim Sherwood who paid for defeat with his job last weekend, the Villa manager sacked the following morning with his side having failed to win in the league since the opening day of the season. “Tim’s a good guy, an honest guy, and someone I’ve got to know well over the last 18-19 months on the (Football Association of Wales) Pro Licence course,” Monk said.
Press Association Arter was in the Republic of Ireland squad which secured their place at Euro 2016 after a 2-0 win over Bosnia-Herzegovina in the play-off second leg, and although he did not feature in either leg, Howe said: ” I think any game for your country is very important, firstly, it’s a huge honour for the player but is a great experience. “They can be very similar to Premier League games and probably the one thing missing from our squad is the experience, so anything that accelerates the players will be welcomed in my opinion.” Goalkeeper Boruc played the full 90 minutes for Poland in a 3-1 friendly win against the Czech Republic and Howe was impressed with his game. “I’m pleased Artur played – it’s good for him to get back into the international side, I am really pleased with him for that.” Centre-back Cargill enjoyed his time training with the England Under-21 side, who are top of their European Championship qualifying group with three wins and a draw so far in the competition. Howe is confident that many of his players can make their national sides in time for Euro 2016 and believes it is an important competition. “It’s great to see them having success and going to the Euros will be great for us,” he said. “I think it will develop our players. They could have life-changing experiences and hopefully we will benefit when they come back.” Bournemouth are back in Barclays Premier League action on Saturday against Swansea, who are 14th, at the Liberty Stadium. Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe is encouraged to see his players getting called away for international duty. Harry Arter and Artur Boruc were called up for the Republic of Ireland and Poland respectively and 20-year-old centre-back Baily Cargill was called up as part of Gareth Southgate’s England Under-21 side. Howe said: “I am very pleased for the individuals concerned, (having international call-ups) is a new experience for us. We’ve got used to that over the last few years with the profile of the club improving and growing, naturally they have caught more attention and have got international recognition on the back of that.”
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has suffered a setback in his recovery from a hamstring injury, ruling him out of Arsenal’s Barclays Premier League clash at West Brom. Press Association “There is not many offensive positions where I can rotate. “I am worried because when he went to Chile he was already a bit jaded and to see what state he will come back (in), I will have to test. “But speaking to the player, if I ask him ‘are you tired?’ you can guess the answer.” Sanchez will not be flying off on national service until March at the earliest, giving Wenger complete control over his welfare. “That is welcome that there is no international break now,” he added. There has been some good news on the injury front, with right-back Hector Bellerin available following a groin problem. Wenger will assess Laurent Koscielny and Olivier Giroud’s readiness to play after the pair’s involvement for France during the international break, when terrorists struck in co-ordinated attacks in Paris during their friendly against Germany last Friday. Wenger says defender Koscielny, in particular, appeared affected in Tuesday’s match with England at Wembley. The England forward, who suffered the injury in the Capital One Cup loss to Sheffield Wednesday, is also expected to miss the key Champions League clash with Dinamo Zagreb next Tuesday. Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said: “He had a slight little setback on Monday but we checked by scan and there is nothing wrong but he is still a fraction short for Saturday.” Aaron Ramsey – who has been absent since the October 20 win over Bayern Munich – is likely to be fit to face Dinamo but Oxlade-Chamberlain will be available for the following weekend’s clash with Norwich at the earliest. “Ramsey will be back in full training on Monday and can play on Tuesday and Chamberlain I think against Norwich,” Wenger added. Theo Walcott, who injured a calf in the same game as Oxlade-Chamberlain, is still continuing his rehabilitation. “Theo is ahead of schedule at the moment but he is still two weeks away,” Wenger added. It all piles more pressure on the likes of Alexis Sanchez, who was due to return from international duty with Chile around 36 hours prior to the match at the Hawthorns. Chile lost 3-0 to Uruguay after a 1-1 draw with Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina’s Colombia during the international hiatus. Sanchez is becoming ever more important to Arsenal and Wenger wishes to give him some time off, but is unable to at present. Asked if the former Barcelona forward will be granted some leave, Wenger said: “At some point yes. At the moment I am a bit short because (I have) no Chamberlain, no Ramsey, no Walcott, no (Jack) Wilshere, no (Danny) Welbeck.
Officials in Ohio say they have arrested a man who reportedly walked into a restaurant and threw an iguana at the manager after starting an altercation.The incident occurred Tuesday at Perkins Restaurant in Painesville.According to the report, 49-year-old Arnold Teeter walked into the restaurant and then laid down at one of the booths. He then threw a menu at one of the waitresses, who then got the manager.As the manager attempted to speak with Teeter, Teeter then reportedly pulled a turquoise iguana from under his shirt, swung it around, and then flung it at the manager.Authorities did not say what caused the attack, however, they did report that Teether was arrested and is now facing several charges including animal cruelty, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest.The iguana was said to have survived the incident with a fractured leg.
Meghan Markle has given birth to a prince. She deliverd the baby boy moments ago. So much for rumors that she already gave birth to a baby girl named “Ivy” at home.The palace announced that the 37-year-old Duchess of Sussex started labor early Monday.She and 34-year-old Prince Harry didn’t disclose the location they chose for the birth but the palace did say Harry is by her side.Throughout Meghan’s pregnancy, they never revealed the baby’s due date. They have said they didn’t find out the sex in advance.The couple previously announced they planned to keep the birth of their firstborn a private matter and said they would only release details to the public after they had time to celebrate as a family.
A patient in Southern California has become the third person in the U.S. to be diagnosed with the new pneumonia-like virus from China, according to health officials.The Centers for Disease Control confirmed a traveler from the Chinese city of Wuhan, which is where the outbreak began, tested positive for the virus.That patient is in isolation at a hospital and is in good condition, a release from the agency states.The virus can cause fever, coughing, wheezing and pneumonia. It is a member of the coronavirus family, which is in turn related to the deadly SARS and MERS viruses that caused outbreaks in previous years.What are the symptoms of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (#2019nCoV)? How does the virus spread? Learn the answers to frequently asked questions here: https://t.co/0ElbjEVlYh. #FAQ pic.twitter.com/dAdUno2jx0— CDC (@CDCgov) January 24, 2020 The first known case in California follows the first domestic diagnosis in Washington state on January 21 and another in Chicago last Friday. Both of those patients — in Washington, a man in his 30s, and in Chicago, a woman in her 60s — had traveled to China.The death toll from the virus in China has reached 56 so far. That country has issued massive travel bans in hard-hit sections of its borders while it tries to stop the virus from spreading. Meanwhile, the U.S. Consulate in Wuhan announced on Sunday that it would evacuate its personnel as well as some private citizens aboard a charter flight.The CDC expects more Americans to be diagnosed with the virus, which is believed to have an incubation period of about two weeks. The worldwide number of confirmed cases is approaching 2,000.In addition, the CDC is screening passengers on direct and connecting flights from Wuhan at major airports in Atlanta, Chicago, New York City, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
-Larry Pruitt, 67, of Morriston, Fla. He was the pilot and owner of the plane.-Shawn Lamont, 41, of Gainesville, Fla.Pilot, Florida family of 4 headed to funeral in Indiana dies in Georgia plane crashhttps://t.co/80HgHzgSVB— Courtney Bryant (@CourtneyDBryant) June 6, 2020 -Jody Lamont, 43, of Gainesville. She was the wife of Shawn and daughter of Larry Pruitt.-Jayce Lamont, 6. He was the son of Shawn and Jody Lamont.-Alice Lamont, 4. She was the daughter of Shawn and Jody Lamont.The family was flying from Levy County, Florida to Newcastle, Indiana in order to attend a funeral, deputies said.The crash remains under investigation. A plane crash in Georgia killed a grieving Florida family over the weekend.According to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office, a small plane crashed in a wooded area near Eatonton, which is located about an hour southeast of Atlanta.Deputies identified the victims involved in the crash as: