Watford chief Duxbury admits Gracia sacking was harshby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveWatford chief Scott Duxbury admits Javi Gracia’s sacking was harsh.But added that it was a necessary decision for the club’s future.”There’s no doubt it’s harsh from a human and personal perspective,” he said.”I get that. But I’ve got to make a professional decision and what I think is best for the football club is not perhaps what the media and pundits think is best.”Unlike the media and the pundits, I’m here and at the training ground every day, I see what’s working and I see what’s not working and am able to make an informed decision.”I don’t believe waiting and hoping for results to improve will work and that I need to make a change. It would be wrong of me to wait just because it looks better.”I’ve got to be decisive and I’ve got to make that change. Can it look harsh? Yes. But is it a decision made in the best interests of the football club? Absolutely.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and head coach Jason Garrett have never been shy about their love for the Duke Blue Devils – they’ve been spotted attending home games and hanging out with players in the locker room. Sunday night, it looks like the duo will be in Houston to watch their favorite college basketball squad try to reach this year’s Final Four. Laura Keeley of the Raleigh News & Observer snapped a photo of them finding their seats behind Duke’s bench.Early Tony Romo and Jason Garrett sighting behind the Duke bench pic.twitter.com/kMXVHx0N3R— Laura Keeley (@laurakeeley) March 29, 2015If Duke loses, expects the conspiracy theories to start flying.
LONDON — British Prime Minister Theresa May is to meet Austria’s chancellor to build support for her Brexit plan ahead of a possible Sunday summit.May plans to meet Thursday with Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz, whose country holds the rotating European Union presidency.The U.K. and the European Union agreed last week on a 585-page document sealing the terms of Britain’s departure, but are still working to nail down a separate political declaration on their future relations after Brexit.Kurz told the Austria Press Agency in remarks published Thursday that his trip to London is designed to help May build support for the deal, which faces opposition in the British Parliament.He also says he hopes to get a “realistic picture” of May’s chances of getting majority support for the bill.The Associated Press
Companies in this story: (TSX:G)The Canadian Press VANCOUVER — Denver-based Newmont Mining Corp. and Goldcorp Inc. of Vancouver have agreed to combine their gold companies in a deal worth about US$10 billion.The companies announced today that Newmont will exchange 0.328 of a share and two cents for each of Goldcorp’s outstanding common shares.The deal has the unanimous support of the directors of both companies but requires regulatory approvals in several countries.The combined company would be called Newmont Goldcorp and be owned 65 per cent by current Newmont shareholders and 35 per cent by Goldcorp shareholders Newmont CEO Gary Goldberg says the company expects to generate up to US$100 million in annualized “synergies” before tax and operate in the Americas, Australia and Ghana.Newmont Goldcorp will also divest between US$1 billion and $1.5 billion of assets over two years to optimize gold production of six to seven million ounces annually.Goldcorp President and CEO David Garofalo says Newmont Goldcorp will be one of Canada’s largest gold producers, with a North American regional office in Vancouver that will oversee more than three million ounces of gold production — about half of the combined company’s projected output.
Allegri’s defensive tactics worked yet again in Juventus’ 0-0 draw in Rome. Radja Nainggolan’s red card destroyed Roma’s chances of grabbing what would’ve been a deserved victory.Roma’s last match was a 1-0 away victory at Cagliari. It was a game that followed Roma’s CL semi-final exit, so Di Francesco fielded a mixed team. Against Juve, though, he didn’t have that luxury. Today’s lineup was: Alisson Becker on goal, Florenzi, Fazio, Jesus and Kolarov in the defense, Pellegrini, De Rossi and Radja Nainggolan in midfield, Under, Dzeko and El Shaarawy in attack. Juventus had to deal with AC Milan in the Italian cup final, something it did in impressive fashion, recording a convincing 4-0 win. Six players were missing in Allegri’s lineup from that encounter: Buffon, Asamoah, Benatia, Cuadrado, Khedira and Douglas Costa. They were replaced by Szczesny, Alex Sandro, Rugani, De Sciglio, Bernardeschi and Higuain. Barzagli, Matuidi, Pjanic, Dybala and Mandzukic rounded up the starting eleven.Roma missed a good opportunity in the 8th minute. Pellegrini cut out a pass in Juve’s half, opening up a 2-on-1 situation with Edin Dzeko. His pass to the Bosnian was a bit behind, forcing him to have to adjust and shoot with his weaker left foot. The shot went wide. In a similar situation a few moments later, Nainggolan stole the ball from Pjanic and headed towards Juve’s box. He chose to shoot instead of passing it to Dzeko and his attempt went high over the bar. 25 minutes in, Roma was clearly the better team. Juventus’ players were happy to sit back and wait for the hosts to break their defensive formation down. Definitely not something you would expect from a champion.Tagliavento awarded the first yellow card of the game to the former Roma midfielder Miralem Pjanic. Add a couple of lost balls that led to Roma counter attacks and you have an idea of what kind of performance we were seeing from the usually dependable Bosnian. Juve needed a point to secure the Scudetto and it was playing like it. At the break, it was Roma 0 – Juventus 0.25 minutes had passed in the second half and the most interesting moments were a Dybala disallowed goal and a Kolarov long-range effort that was blocked. The first substitution of the contest was made in the 67th minute, when Fernando Bernardeschi was replaced by Douglas Costa. Then, Radja Nainggolan, who had received a booking a few minutes earlier for pulling on Alex Sandro’s shirt, made a clumsy foul from behind on Dybala. The referee had no other choice but to show him a second yellow. In the 73rd minute, Gonalons substituted Pellegrini.Nainggolan’s red card changed the complexity of the game, as Juventus spent more time in Roma’s half than it did during the entirety of time prior to the send off. However, Allegri’s squad showed no desire to do more than simply pass the ball around while waiting for the remaining minutes to tick away. Eventually, the final whistle came. The viewers’ suffering ended and Juventus’ title celebration began.
Kylian Mbappe has put an end to rumours linking him with a switch to Real Madrid this summer by insisting that he has no intention of leaving Paris Saint-Germain after an impressive World Cup campaignThe 19-year-old became the first teenager to score in the final since Brazil legend Pele in 1958 against Sweden to score France’s fourth goal in their 4-2 win against Croatia on Sunday.Mbappe’s four goals in seven appearances at Russia also saw being named the FIFA Young Player of the World Cup with Croatia captain Luka Modric being named the Golden Ball winner.But with PSG under pressure to meet the Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations by UEFA, there have been some suggestions that the Ligue 1 giants may sell the young star to Real Madrid this summer in order to ease their troubles.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.But Mbappe is adamant he will be at the Parc des Princes next season.“I will stay with PSG, continuing on my path with them,” he said, as stated on beinSPORTS.“I am at the beginning of my career.”Mbappe scored 21 goals in all competitions last season for PSG.
What a guy! Shortly after helping Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 on Saturday, N’Golo Kante later apologised to a fanThe France international played the full 90 minutes of the five-goal thriller London derby and impressed once more in his more advanced midfield role.Chelsea got off to a strong start at Stamford Bridge by racing into a two-goal lead inside 20 minutes with goals from Pedro and Alvaro Morata.Arsenal levelled the scoreline before the end of half-time thanks to goals from Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Alex Iwobi.But Marcos Alonso turned home Eden Hazard’s cross to seal the three points for Chelsea.It meant that Arsenal had lost their first two games of the season for the first time in 26 years.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.And Sharky, a Gunners supporter, approached Kante afterwards and explained to him how sad he felt about the result.“Just met this man. Told him I was an Arsenal fan and I was upset about the game this weekend but he smiled at me and said “sorry”. What a guy,” Sharky wrote.Just met this man. Told him I was an arsenal fan and I was upset about the game this weekend but he smiled at me and said “sorry”. What a guy ? pic.twitter.com/L8sukTnc7L— Sharky (@afcSharky) August 19, 2018
In line with its efforts to attract more foreign direct investment (FDI), Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said on Monday in his Budget for 2016-2017 that the foreign investment limit in Indian stock exchanges has been raised to 15 percent from the current five percent.It could pave the way for the listing of the Bombay Stock Exchange, Asia’s oldest stock exchange. “Investment limit for foreign entities in Indian stock exchanges will be enhanced from 5 to 15% on par with domestic institutions,” said Jaitley during his budget speech.Foreign investors in the BSE include Deutsche BÃ¶rse AG, Singapore Exchange Ltd, US billionaire George Soros’s hedge fund Quantum’s Mauritius investment arm Quantum (M) Ltd, Canada-based investor Thomas Caldwell’s Caldwell India Holdings Inc. and US fund Argonaut Private Equity.”BSE welcomes the proposal to increase the stake a foreign exchange can hold in an Indian exchange from 5% to 15% to bring it on par with Indian entities. This will also help attract more investments in India by creating stronger links with the best foreign exchanges,” Ashishkumar Chauhan, MD & CEO, BSE, said in a statement.In January this year, Indian capital markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) had relaxed some of the clauses pertaining to the listing of bourses. The BSE has been making efforts since 2012 to get listed when it hired 14 banks to advice it on the modalities. The BSE would engage the same set of firms now also for its IPO, the Mint had quoted a source familiar with the development as saying on condition of anonymity.The BSE was established on Jul. 9, 1875, at Dalal Street, and was one of the many places hit during a series of bomb blasts on Mar.12, 1993.
Foreign minister AK Abdul MomenForeign minister AK Abdul Momen on Thursday said Bangladesh does not want to do anything by force and laid emphasis on removing trust-deficit among Rohingyas who refused to return to their homeland, reports UNB. “It’s regrettable… what else you can do!” the foreign minister said while talking to a small group of reporters at his office. Momen said there is a trust-deficit among Rohingyas and reiterated Bangladesh’s call to take 100 “majhis” or Rohingya leaders to Rakhine State, and show them what measures and arrangements are taken to welcome Rohingyas to their own homes as they fear about their safety and security. The foreign minister said he is thinking about forming a commission with people from various countries to go and see the development in Rakhine and inspect whether peace and stability are prevailing there or not with required steps. “Myanmar should prove that development is there and peace is prevailing,” he said adding that Myanmar can also take journalists there to see the situation on the ground. Foreign minister Momen said Myanmar should come forward if they remain honest and should give access to Rakhine to see the situation there. Responding to a question about Rohingyas’ demands, the foreign minister said they cannot be hostage to their demands. “They (Rohingya) need to realise their demands by going back to their homes.” Momen said they were hoping that the repatriation would begin today (Thursday), at least on a small scale, but it’s yet to begin. “We’re still waiting with a high hope. Myanmar has created the problem and solution lies there, too. We don’t want to do anything by force,” he said adding that representatives of Myanmar, China and Bangladesh governments were present there. Responding to another question, the foreign minister said they will identify those distributing leaflets, supplying English-written signboards and carrying out campaigns encouraging Rohingyas not to return to Myanmar. “We’re identifying them,” he said adding that steps will be taken. He indicated about slower fund flow — both from locally and internationally — which might create problems for the Rohingyas though they are living a comfortable life now. “For their own better future, they should go back.” The foreign minister said their efforts will continue for voluntary and safe return of Rogingyas to their place of origin. Responding to a question, he said there are both positive and negative aspects of welcoming Rohingyas in 2017, and Myanmar did never say they will not take back their nationals. Despite all the preparations, no Rohingya turned up on Thursday to avail of the “voluntary” repatriation offer given to them to go back to their place of origin in Rakhine state of Myanmar prompting the authorities to suspend the repatriation process for the day. While briefing reporters, Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commissioner Mohammad Abul Kalam said they interviewed the listed Rohingyas over the last couple of days and encouraged them to return to their homeland. But nobody did show up at Ghumdhum transit point on Thursday, he said adding that five buses were kept ready to take the Rohingyas to Myanmar’s Rakhine state, their place of origin. Bangladesh is now hosting over 1.1 million Rohingyas and most of them entered the country since 25 August, 2017. The two countries signed a repatriation deal on 23 November, 2017, but there has been little progress. On 29 July, Bangladesh handed a fresh list of 25,000 Rohingyas from around 6,000 families to Myanmar for verification before their repatriation to Rakhine state. With the latest list, Bangladesh has so far handed the names of around 55,000 Rohingyas to the Myanmar authorities and around 8,000 of them have been verified. Myanmar only cleared 3,450 Rohingyas for beginning the repatriation. On 16 January, 2018 Bangladesh and Myanmar inked a document on “Physical Arrangement”, which was supposed to facilitate the return of Rohingyas to their homeland. The “Physical Arrangement” stipulates that the repatriation will be completed preferably within two years from the start. The first batch of Rohingyas was scheduled to return on 15 November last year but it was halted amid the unwillingness of Rohingyas to go back for lack of a congenial environment in Rakhine. On 20 August, foreign minister AK Abdul Momen said both Bangladesh and Myanmar were “fully ready” to resume the repatriation of Rohingyas to their homeland but some Rohingya leaders and NGOs are reportedly discouraging them to return. “We’ve heard some Rohingya leaders emerged there. They don’t want the return of any Rohingya (to their homeland). They’re trying to stop returnees. Some INGOs and NGOs are instigating them (Rohingyas),” he told a small group of reporters at his office. He said Bangladesh wants to see Rohingyas’ return to Rakhine state as soon as possible.
By MICHAEL TARM, AP Legal Affairs WriterCHICAGO (AP) — A federal judge Thursday handed former U.S. Rep. Mel Reynolds a six-month prison sentence for not filing tax returns for income on consulting work from Africa, telling the Harvard graduate he had “squandered” opportunities to be something better in life.Judge Robert Gettleman noted how Reynolds, 66, rose from poverty in Mississippi to become a Rhodes Scholar and then a member of Congress. The judge said he could recall thinking to himself in the early 1990s that Reynolds had tremendous promise.Former U.S. Rep. Mel Reynolds speaks to members of the media at the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse after receiving a six- month prison sentence for failing to file tax returns for four years after a hearing Thursday, May 10, 2018, in Chicago. (Erin Hooley/Chicago Tribune via AP)“It’s a tragedy that you squandered the opportunities you had and the type of person you could have become,” he said.The judge alluded, not just to Reynolds’ tax case, but to his 1995 statutory rape conviction for having sex with a 16-year-old campaign worker. Later, he was convicted of concealing debts and diverting money meant for voter registration drives into his election campaign.With credit for two months served in jail, the Chicago Democrat will end up serving closer to four months behind bars.Reynolds had argued he shouldn’t be imprisoned at all, saying a year of probation would have been the right sentence.“To put me in jail serves what purpose?” he asked the judge. “To teach me a lesson? … I’ve been taught about this racist society … every day of my life.”Reynolds, who acted as his own attorney, argued it was unfair to give too much weight to his convictions in the 1990s in calculating a sentence for his conviction at a bench trial last year on four misdemeanor counts of not filing tax returns. Prosecutors say the undeclared income was money made consulting for Chicago businessmen in Africa.“The question is: How long does a person have to pay for mistakes?” Reynolds asked about the older crimes. At other periods in his life, he had been in the military and raised three children, he said. And he added, “I wasn’t just living my life as a wheeler-dealer.”Prosecutor Georgia Alexakis had asked for at least two years behind bars, citing what she described as Reynolds’ decades-long pattern of flouting the law.“There are aspects of the defendant’s life that are … laudatory,” said “But the good doesn’t outweigh the bad.”The maximum penalty Reynolds faced was four years in prison.Reynolds also spoke about growing up in Mississippi in what he said “was the poorest city in the poorest county in America.” He described getting shot at during a campaign in the early ’90s, saying he still grappled with the lingering trauma. In earlier court filings, he said recent financial hardships have left him “virtually homeless,” often scrambling to find places to stay.Gettleman expressed bewilderment at Reynolds’ descent from political star to convict within just a few years in the 1990s. Reynolds won his 2nd Congressional District in 1992 and resigned in 1995 after the statutory rape conviction.The judge said he hoped Reynolds would use his time in prison to reassess his life, telling him: “It will give you some time to think where you go from here.”Reynolds, who will report to prison later, told reporters outside court that he already knew where he would go after prison.“I’m going home to Africa,” he said. “I’ve given up on America because how long do African-Americans put up with this nonsense?”