A major train accident was averted near Meerut on the Meerut-Saharanpur route on Wednesday when the track changing system stopped functioning. The automatic panel changer of the Daurala station, few km from Meerut, stopped working few minutes before the Delhi-Dehradun Express was out to cross the station. This comes weeks after the Utkal Express was derailed on the same route near Khatauli, killing 25 people and injuring more than 154 people after the train was allowed to pass the track when repair work was going on.Local officials said the gate man of Daurala was prompt in informing the station officials about the problem in the track changing system after which the Delhi-Dehradun Super Express was stopped.“Even minutes of delay in informing the officials about the problem in track changing panel could have caused a havoc,” said a senior railway employee at Meerut. The Station Superintendent of Daurala, Dinesh Das, told The Hindu that he quickly informed about the problem to higher officials after which a team of technicians came from Meerut and fixed the track changing system. Senior officials in the Northern Railway said the matter had not come to their cognisance but the local officials would be asked to explain how the automatic track changing system stopped functioning.
The National Conference (NC) and the Congress, considered close to each other politically, have hit a collision course after the latter decided to contest in the upcoming urban local bodies (ULB) and panchayat polls in Jammu & Kashmir.“It would have been better if Congress had supported parties from J&K in their attempts to safeguard the interests of State subjects. I will not hesitate in saying that the Congress has indeed bailed out the right wing BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) by announcing its participation in the upcoming polls without getting a guarantee from the Centre on where it stands on Article 35A and Article 370,” said NC spokesman Imran Nabi Dar, while referring to remarks of State Congress chief G.A. Mir.Mr. Mir, who on Wednesday announced the party’s decision to participate in the polls, accused both the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the NC of staying away “under a well-thought out conspiracy.”“Mir’s remarks on the NC’s decision to stay away from polls is outrageous and far from truth. It’s sad that the Congress chief had to make such mala fide targeted accusations. The very identity of the State is under threat and it’s NC that has taken the fight head on,” Mr. Dar added.Another senior NC leader Bashir Veeri said the Centre’s decision to hold elections in such circumstances, “wherein the State’s premier political parties have in unison asked for protection of Article 35A, is nothing but murder of democracy.”The PDP also lambasted the Congress for its decision. “Congress has been the architect of erosion of J&K’s autonomy. It has always viciously engineered a plot against the sentiments of people,” said PDP spokesman Rafi Ahmad Mir.The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) on Thursday said it will not participate in upcoming urban local bodies elections as “the situation was not conducive for the polls.”Besides the NC and PDP, the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and the J&K Democratic Party Nationalist have decided to boycott the polls, which will began on October 8
Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami and Ishant Sharma, with a total of 131 wickets in 2018, and counting, became the most successful pace trio in a calendar year in Test cricket history on Saturday.Bumrah, Shami and Ishant broke the 34-year-old record set by the legendary West Indies trio of Joel Garner, Michael Holding and Malcolm Marshall, who had taken 130 wickets in 1984.Third on that list would be the South African pace trio of Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini and Dale Steyn with 123 wickets in 2008.Bumrah has been the most successful of the three Indian pacers with 46 wickets from 9 Tests so far, along with Shami who took his 46 wickets from 12 Tests. Ishant Sharma on the other hand has taken 39 wickets form 11 Tests.The wickets tally of all three pacers is set to increase with the Boxing Day Test still going on between India and Australia.Another feat achieved by the Indian cricket team is the highest haul of wickets ever in a calendar year, with 257 wickets in 14 matches, bettering the previous record of 237 wickets from 17 games in the year 1979.Bumrah, who broke multiple records on the third day with his 6-wicket haul, producing his first 8-wicket haul in a Test match.On Day three, Bumrah surpassed Dileep Doshi’s record of most wickets (40 wickets in 1979) in a debut year in Tests as well.Also Read | Jasprit Bumrah does what Waqar, Wasim and Vaas could not do
Watford chief Duxbury admits Gracia sacking was harshby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveWatford chief Scott Duxbury admits Javi Gracia’s sacking was harsh.But added that it was a necessary decision for the club’s future.”There’s no doubt it’s harsh from a human and personal perspective,” he said.”I get that. But I’ve got to make a professional decision and what I think is best for the football club is not perhaps what the media and pundits think is best.”Unlike the media and the pundits, I’m here and at the training ground every day, I see what’s working and I see what’s not working and am able to make an informed decision.”I don’t believe waiting and hoping for results to improve will work and that I need to make a change. It would be wrong of me to wait just because it looks better.”I’ve got to be decisive and I’ve got to make that change. Can it look harsh? Yes. But is it a decision made in the best interests of the football club? Absolutely.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Lys Mousset overjoyed to score Sheffield Utd winner against Arsenalby Freddie Taylor4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLys Mousset was delighted to score for Sheffield United in Monday’s 1-0 victory over Arsenal.The summer signing from Bournemouth endeared himself to the Blades faithful after his 30th minute strike sealed a memorable victory at Bramall Lane.He told Sky Sports: “It was a good feeling and it was good to be back in the team.”I wanted to say thank you to the manager for bringing me to Sheffield United and he told me just to play my football and try to score.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
The Ministry of Justice has, to date, signed contracts valued at more than $1B for rehabilitation and refurbishing works to Justice Institutions across the island for the fiscal year 2018/2019. This was announced by Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Justice, Mrs. Carol Palmer, at the Ministry’s Second Quarterly Press Briefing held at the Ministry’s headquarters on October 11.A contract in the amount of $50.7M was signed for works to be done to the Kingston and St. Andrew Family Court located in Downtown, Kingston which was destroyed by a fire in 2015. This is the 10th contract signed by the Ministry for this fiscal year.Infrastructural development is one of the critical planks of Justice System reform and is aimed at modernizing the physical infrastructure of Justice Institutions across Jamaica.In Quarter One, the Ministry signed 3 contracts valued at $890M with a large portion of the sum being attributed to a contract valued at $845.6M for refurbishing works at Public Building West (Court Appeal).Meanwhile, in Quarter Two, the Justice Ministry signed a $43.5M contract for refurbishing works to be done to the St. Catherine Parish Court and reconfigured the Server and Storage room to the St. James Parish Court which amounted to $7.5M. In total, the Ministry signed 7 contracts valued at $161.6M in the Second Quarter.Last fiscal year, the Ministry spent over $697M to construct, rehabilitate and refurbish 88 Justice Institutions including the island’s courts.
Paris: European aerospace giant Airbus on Tuesday reported a slump in first-quarter net profit, hit by Germany’s freeze on weapons exports to Saudi Arabia and its own decision to stop building the loss-making A380 super-jumbo. It said profits were down 86 per cent from the same period in 2018 at 40 million euros ($45 million). It blamed “adjustments” including “a negative 190 million euros as a consequence of the prolonged suspension of defence export licences to Saudi Arabia by the German government”. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraGermany in late March extended by six months an embargo on weapons exports to Riyadh. It had instituted the ban on arms sales to Saudi Arabia and other countries involved in the Yemen war last October in response to the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. But Berlin has since faced protests by EU partners because the ban has impacted joint defence projects such as the Eurofighter and Tornado jets. Airbus is affected by the freeze under a contract for “border security” equipment, the group’s chief financial officer, Dominik Asam, told a press conference Tuesday. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 days”We now have to watch what is happening in the political environment and how we deal with the customer”, he said. Airbus on Tuesday also blamed falling profits on “83 million euros relating to the dollar pre-delivery payment mismatch and balance sheet revaluation” and “a negative 61 million euros related to A380 programme cost”. Airbus announced in February that it would stop building the A380, a double-decker jet which earned plaudits from passengers but failed to win over enough airlines to justify its massive costs. The programme’s future had been in doubt for years as Airbus slowed production, and the company acknowledged last year that the A380 would be scrapped if no new orders came in. Consolidated revenues increased 24 percent to 12.5 billion euros “reflecting the higher commercial aircraft deliveries as the production ramp-up continued”, it said in a statement. “The first quarter underlying financials mainly reflect our commercial aircraft ramp-up and delivery phasing,” said CEO Guillaume Faury. “The commercial aircraft market remains robust and we continue to see good prospects in the helicopters and defence and space businesses. The new management team is in place and focused on delivering on our commitments.” Faury took over earlier this month, replacing Tom Enders, who stepped down after five years. Earnings before interest (EBIT) were down nine percent at 181 million euros. In the first quarter, Airbus recorded 62 gross commercial aircraft orders compared with 68 during the same period in 2018. These included 38 A350 XWBs, the latest of its large aircraft. Airbus said it plans to deliver between 880 and 890 commercial aircraft in 2019. It added that it is ramping up production of its A320 planes, which are a direct competitor to the 737 MAX planes made by Airbus’s rival aerospace giant Boeing. The 737 MAX planes have been grounded worldwide as Boeing comes under huge scrutiny after a total of 346 passengers and crew were killed when two of the jets crashed. When asked at a press conference about the troubles of Airbus’s American rival, Faury said that the company had not yet seen any change in its supply chain.
Fans take in a game at Bill Davis Stadium on April 16.Credit: Courtesy of OSU AthleticsJust about anyone who has ever attended a baseball game has witnessed the following scene: A fan in attendance, usually along the first- or third-baseline, isn’t paying attention to the play on the field. Within milliseconds of the crack of the bat, a fan is struck by the ball and takes the brunt of the force of the live ball, only slowed down by air resistance.MLB made waves this winter by recommending that protective netting should be installed beyond the dugouts at all 30 MLB ballparks. Several minor league baseball teams have put in additional protective netting as well, including the local Columbus Clippers.Ohio State Executive Associate Athletic Director Martin Jarmond confirmed that in 2017, protective netting will be expanded at Bill Davis Stadium, extending to the ends of the dugouts on the baselines to protect the most vulnerable fans.“We are always looking for ways to provide a better and safer experience for our guests,” said Associate Athletic Director Mike Penner. “The netting is one way to do that.” Penner told The Lantern that the department has budgeted $50,000 for the project.Some fans watching the OSU baseball team take on the University of Alabama-Birmingham on May 3 had a general consensus about the eventual extension of netting: For the safety of the fans, it’s a change that needs to happen.R.C. Perez, a third-year in sport industry, said he recalls a moment earlier this season when a group of kids sitting on the first-base side above the dugout was moved to another side of the stadium where a batted ball, broken bat or anything else thrown from the field couldn’t injure the young fans or anyone else in attendance.“It’s a great idea (for extra netting) because of the risk to kids and other fans,” Perez said.Dave and Diane Mosbarger — grandparents of OSU senior pitcher Daulton Mosbarger — sit by themselves along the third-baseline even with the dugout. Diane Mosbarger said that at least one of them has to be paying attention when a left-handed batter is at the plate.“So many people don’t pay attention too much,” she said. “Ushers are constantly paying attention to foul balls.”The couple has attended over 30 major league ballparks apiece, and although Dave Mosbarger has a different take than his wife, saying that more netting does take away from the experience a little bit, they both said they are sure they will attend many more games in the future despite the increased area of barrier between them and the field.John Grubb has been an usher at Bill Davis Stadium for five years, and he said in his five years working on the concourse level, he has seen too many close calls.“You always have several instances,” Grubb said. “One time, a thrown bat just missed some people in box seats … It’s just a matter of time.”OSU coach Greg Beals said that most fans now choose to view the game through the limited netting behind the home plate area, so the expanded netting will allow fans to sit comfortably anywhere they choose to sit in the ballpark.“I see the purpose in it, to protect the fans,” the coach said. “The fans are so critical in the major league game, and obviously to us as well, so it makes sense from that standpoint.”Beals said hanging the net with suspension cables is important to the process because it eliminated poles that can obstruct the view of fans.“I think once fans get used to the net, you don’t really notice it a lot,” he said.The installation process is expected to take four months.
Kylian Mbappe has put an end to rumours linking him with a switch to Real Madrid this summer by insisting that he has no intention of leaving Paris Saint-Germain after an impressive World Cup campaignThe 19-year-old became the first teenager to score in the final since Brazil legend Pele in 1958 against Sweden to score France’s fourth goal in their 4-2 win against Croatia on Sunday.Mbappe’s four goals in seven appearances at Russia also saw being named the FIFA Young Player of the World Cup with Croatia captain Luka Modric being named the Golden Ball winner.But with PSG under pressure to meet the Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations by UEFA, there have been some suggestions that the Ligue 1 giants may sell the young star to Real Madrid this summer in order to ease their troubles.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.But Mbappe is adamant he will be at the Parc des Princes next season.“I will stay with PSG, continuing on my path with them,” he said, as stated on beinSPORTS.“I am at the beginning of my career.”Mbappe scored 21 goals in all competitions last season for PSG.
Former Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane believes that Karim Benzema is “a real team player”The French forward managed just 11 goals in 45 appearances in all competitions in Zidane’s final season in charge of Real.Yet the 46-year-old kept faith in Benzema, who repaid the coach by playing a key role in securing their third straight Champions League title.But, following Zidane’s departure in May, questions over Benzema’s importance to Real have arisen.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“Karim was important for the balance of the side in terms of how I wanted the team to attack,” Zidane told UEFA.“He helped to implement our possession game by playing his teammates in. He makes himself available and is a real team player.”Benzema has begun life under new head coach Julen Lopetegui in impressive fashion by scoring five goals in four games.