DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games “It’s hard. We just have to learn to adjust. That’s just how it is,” he added.Despite having to deal with a huge disparity on free throws, TNT was still in it until the latter part of the fourth quarter where San Miguel pulled away behind June Mar Fajardo.Fajardo scored 12 of his game-high 27 points in the final frame.ADVERTISEMENT Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netTNT head coach Nash Racela turned his attention to the KaTropa’s sloppy play and foul woes in their loss to San Miguel Beer Wednesday.Cautious with his words, Racela contained himself from elaborating further on the foul situation.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo 222 million euro deal for Neymar ‘not expensive’, says Mourinho Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant “Too many turnovers for us. Too many fouls committed also. We had 26 turnovers, we had 31 fouls that led to 28 free throws, so,” said Racela.The KaTropa were whistled for personal fouls 11 times more than the Beermen, who went 19-of-28 from the line.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsTNT took a trip to the free throw line just eight times with import Michael Craig Jr., who played 35 minutes and took 25 shots, never having any chance to shoot freebies.“At least, we had eight free throws. They might say something about it so…” said Racela smiling. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress MOST READ FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ View comments
Valtteri Bottas waited 81 races for his first Formula One win to come along but it will get easier for the Finn after Sunday’s success in Russia, according to former world champion Niki Lauda.”To win the first grand prix…is always the most difficult one,” the retired triple champion and non-executive chairman of Bottas’s Mercedes team, told reporters.”This I know out of my own experience. So every one that comes next, for him his life is easier. He has proven that he can win.”As soon as you win the first grand prix, a big load comes off,” added the Austrian, who was surprised Ferrari did not win in Sochi given their race pace and having both cars starting on the front row.Instead, Bottas roared past both Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen to seize the lead into the first corner in a move that decided the outcome.The Finn has had to wait longer than most to scale the top step of the podium but the man he replaced in January, retired 2016 world champion Nico Rosberg, took his first victory in his 111th grand prix start after also starting out at Williams.Fellow-Finn Mika Hakkinen, world champion in 1998 and 1999 with McLaren, took 96 races.Only last week, reporters were asking Bottas about having to accept so-called ‘team orders’ and help triple champion team mate Lewis Hamilton in the title battle against Vettel but it looks different already.Bottas is now just 10 points adrift of Hamilton and, having started the season as an emergency stopgap, can now quite legitimately see himself in the championship mix.advertisementThat situation poses another headache for Hamilton but is one that Mercedes are relaxed about having to manage. They do not expect the relationship to turn sour as it did between the Briton and Rosberg.”He (Bottas) took up that risky move to be Lewis Hamilton’s team mate, to take over the reigning world champion’s car, and I think that he has done a very good job,” said team boss Toto Wolff.”The relationship between the two is very intact, Lewis was one of the first to congratulate Valtteri on his first race victory and I think that shows the respect that they have towards each other.”Nevertheless, both of them are fierce competitors and they will want to win races and fight for a championship; But I don’t think it will affect the relationship and the dynamics within the team like it did in the last years between Nico and Lewis.”
Coming budget proposes police recruitment and aerial surveillance, says Premier Premier renews promises, promotes peace in Christmas Message Related Items:progressive national party, rufus ewing, sheba wilson Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 22 Feb 2016 – The Progressive National party headquarters is undergoing a rushed clean-up as the governing party prepares for a weekend of events in its first National Convention in years. During the announcement to inform the nation that the PNP had won the right to have its Progress House returned, Premier and Party Leader, Hon Rufus Ewing talked about the weekend which he said would be devoted also to a Community Clean up at the headquarters. Already, there are whispers of possible contenders for seats in the upcoming General Elections on the PNP ticket and one bold announcement already made by Leeward & Long Bay Hills District PNP Executive, Sheba Wilson. Wilson, who is Human Resources, Assistant Director at Grace Bay Club told radio listeners that she will offer as an at large candidate even though she has not yet formally, in writing expressed her interest to Party Leader Ewing. NEW CHAIRMAN, PNP keeps Ewing Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Legal Facebook Donald Trump Deepfake coverage on CNET Deepfakes may ruin the world. And they can come for you, too Samsung deepfake AI could fabricate a video of you from a single profile pic Tags A manipulated clip of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has people worried about bogus videos in the run-up to 2020. Larry French/Getty Images Congress is looking to investigate deepfakes after the appearance of doctored videos of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, says a Tuesday report from CNN. Deepfakes, video forgeries that make people appear to be doing or saying things they didn’t, are the moving-picture equivalent of bogus images created with programs like Photoshop. Deepfake software has made manipulated videos accessible and increasingly harder to detect as fake. One technique enables users to make a deepfake using a single image, such as the Mona Lisa.Speaking with CNN, House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff, a Democrat from California, reportedly said the Russian fake news campaign during the 2016 presidential election could escalate for the 2020 presidential race thanks to deepfakes. “The most severe escalation might be the introduction of a deepfake — a video of one of the candidates saying something they never said,” Schiff said. Schiff called the Pelosi video a “cheap fake.””Very easy to make, very simple to make, real content just doctored,” Schiff reportedly told the publication. “If you look back at how impactful the Mitt Romney videotape about the 47% was, you could imagine how a videotape that is more incendiary could be election-altering. “Combine that with the fact that we already have a president of the United States who says the things that are real, like the Access Hollywood tape, are fake, and things that are fake, like the Pelosi tape — he pushes out as real.” 1 Politics Security Culture Digital Media Online Share your voice On May 23, videos doctored to make Pelosi appear like she was drunkenly slurring her words spread across Facebook. Facebook refused to take down the viral clip, despite reportedly having been looking into its manipulated-media policy just days before the video appeared. The Pelosi videos then disappeared from Facebook on Monday, but the social network denied removing them. In her speech, originally made at a Center for American Progress event, Pelosi accused Trump of being part of a “cover-up.” The video was then found by the The Washington Post to have been slowed to around 75% of its original speed, with the pitch of Pelosi’s voice also altered. The doctored videos went viral after being posted to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, with one version on Facebook being viewed over 1.4 million times and shared 30,000 times. Pelosi, another Democrat from California, slammed the social network. “We have said all along, poor Facebook, they were unwittingly exploited by the Russians,” Pelosi told KQED News on Wednesday. “I think wittingly, because right now they are putting up something that they know is false. I think it’s wrong.” “[Facebook is] lying to the public … I think they have proven — by not taking down something they know is false — that they were willing enablers of the Russian interference in our election,” she said. Schiff’s office didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Comment
Foreign minister AK Abdul MomenForeign minister AK Abdul Momen on Thursday said Bangladesh does not want to do anything by force and laid emphasis on removing trust-deficit among Rohingyas who refused to return to their homeland, reports UNB. “It’s regrettable… what else you can do!” the foreign minister said while talking to a small group of reporters at his office. Momen said there is a trust-deficit among Rohingyas and reiterated Bangladesh’s call to take 100 “majhis” or Rohingya leaders to Rakhine State, and show them what measures and arrangements are taken to welcome Rohingyas to their own homes as they fear about their safety and security. The foreign minister said he is thinking about forming a commission with people from various countries to go and see the development in Rakhine and inspect whether peace and stability are prevailing there or not with required steps. “Myanmar should prove that development is there and peace is prevailing,” he said adding that Myanmar can also take journalists there to see the situation on the ground. Foreign minister Momen said Myanmar should come forward if they remain honest and should give access to Rakhine to see the situation there. Responding to a question about Rohingyas’ demands, the foreign minister said they cannot be hostage to their demands. “They (Rohingya) need to realise their demands by going back to their homes.” Momen said they were hoping that the repatriation would begin today (Thursday), at least on a small scale, but it’s yet to begin. “We’re still waiting with a high hope. Myanmar has created the problem and solution lies there, too. We don’t want to do anything by force,” he said adding that representatives of Myanmar, China and Bangladesh governments were present there. Responding to another question, the foreign minister said they will identify those distributing leaflets, supplying English-written signboards and carrying out campaigns encouraging Rohingyas not to return to Myanmar. “We’re identifying them,” he said adding that steps will be taken. He indicated about slower fund flow — both from locally and internationally — which might create problems for the Rohingyas though they are living a comfortable life now. “For their own better future, they should go back.” The foreign minister said their efforts will continue for voluntary and safe return of Rogingyas to their place of origin. Responding to a question, he said there are both positive and negative aspects of welcoming Rohingyas in 2017, and Myanmar did never say they will not take back their nationals. Despite all the preparations, no Rohingya turned up on Thursday to avail of the “voluntary” repatriation offer given to them to go back to their place of origin in Rakhine state of Myanmar prompting the authorities to suspend the repatriation process for the day. While briefing reporters, Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commissioner Mohammad Abul Kalam said they interviewed the listed Rohingyas over the last couple of days and encouraged them to return to their homeland. But nobody did show up at Ghumdhum transit point on Thursday, he said adding that five buses were kept ready to take the Rohingyas to Myanmar’s Rakhine state, their place of origin. Bangladesh is now hosting over 1.1 million Rohingyas and most of them entered the country since 25 August, 2017. The two countries signed a repatriation deal on 23 November, 2017, but there has been little progress. On 29 July, Bangladesh handed a fresh list of 25,000 Rohingyas from around 6,000 families to Myanmar for verification before their repatriation to Rakhine state. With the latest list, Bangladesh has so far handed the names of around 55,000 Rohingyas to the Myanmar authorities and around 8,000 of them have been verified. Myanmar only cleared 3,450 Rohingyas for beginning the repatriation. On 16 January, 2018 Bangladesh and Myanmar inked a document on “Physical Arrangement”, which was supposed to facilitate the return of Rohingyas to their homeland. The “Physical Arrangement” stipulates that the repatriation will be completed preferably within two years from the start. The first batch of Rohingyas was scheduled to return on 15 November last year but it was halted amid the unwillingness of Rohingyas to go back for lack of a congenial environment in Rakhine. On 20 August, foreign minister AK Abdul Momen said both Bangladesh and Myanmar were “fully ready” to resume the repatriation of Rohingyas to their homeland but some Rohingya leaders and NGOs are reportedly discouraging them to return. “We’ve heard some Rohingya leaders emerged there. They don’t want the return of any Rohingya (to their homeland). They’re trying to stop returnees. Some INGOs and NGOs are instigating them (Rohingyas),” he told a small group of reporters at his office. He said Bangladesh wants to see Rohingyas’ return to Rakhine state as soon as possible.
Kolkata: Around 70 lakh people will exercise their franchise in five Lok Sabha constituencies spread over three districts on Tuesday.These seats include Jangipur and Murshidabad in Murshidabad district, Malda North and South in Malda district and Balurghat in South Dinajpur district. The Election Commission has taken elaborate measures to ensure free, fair and peaceful election in these constituencies. A total of 324 company of the Central Forces will be deployed. Of these, 177 company of the Central Forces will be deployed in Jangipur and Murshidabad seats. In Malda North and South, 94 company of Central Forces will be in place while in Balurghat another 44 will be pressed into service. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataThe Election Commission replaced the Superintendent of Police Arnab Roy with Ajay Prasad just 48 hours before the polls in Malda. A Congress delegation met Prasad on Monday afternoon and urged him to ensure free and fair elections. In Murshidabad, there are 1,907 polling booths which are being housed in 1,377 polling premises. In Jangipur, there are 1,762 booths within 1,148 polling stations. In Malda North, there are 1,713 booths housed in 1,320 premises while in Malda South, around 1,616 booths are housed in 1,106 premises. In Balurghat, there are 1,530 booths housed in 1,345 premises. The seats are most crucial for the Trinamool Congress. Of the five seats, TMC had only one seat in 2014 Lok Sabha polls. It went up to two after Mausam Noor joined the TMC and is fighting from Malda North. TMC’s Arpita Ghosh won by 1.06 lakh votes in 2014 while Mausam defeated her nearest candidate by over 67,000 votes. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in statePolitical experts said Malda is a Congress stronghold for the past five decades since the time of ABA Ghani Khan Chowdhury. Ghani Khan’s brother AHA Khan Chowdhury won the Malda South seat by over 1.64 lakh votes in 2014. In Murshidabad district, Abhijit Mukherjee was elected from Jangipur seat by over 8,000 votes. Badaruddoza Khan of the CPI(M) was elected from Murshidabad by over 18,000 votes. Even in the 2016 Assembly elections, two ministers of the TMC — Sabitri Mitra and Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhury were defeated. But in 2018 Panchayat elections, Trinamool won the Zilla Parishad. Banerjee is trying to make inroads in Malda and joining of Noor is a major achievement of the party before the elections. Like Malda, Murshidabad is a Congress stronghold and the TMC had lost all the three seats in 2014. Adhir Chowdhury won the Berhampur seat while Abhijit Mukherjee and Badaruddoza Khan got elected in 2014. TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee deputed Suvendu Adhikari, state Transport minister, to look after the party’s organisation in the district. The decision has brought enormous success for the party. In 2018, Trinamool got control over the Zilla Parishad and three MLAs have joined the party. Political experts said a tough tussle is expected in all the five seats and people will have to wait till May 23 to know the result as the strength of Congress and TMC is evenly poised in Malda and Murshidabad respectively.
We’re approaching halfway on our whistlestop tour of the country for the Star Sports Cheltenham Preview evenings and there are plenty of good tips coming out of the evenings – all summarised on our dedicated page which includes details of the events still to take place. CLICK HEREOur catering supplies of Yorkie bars are being rapidly consumed and it won’t be long before we point the sat nav to GL50 4SH and the end, or rather the beginning of our journey CHELTENHAM RACECOURSE !!In the meantime, why not catch up with what our pundits panels are throwing into the ring.Get the answers to the below and more on our CHELTENHAM PREVIEW page – CLICK HERE.