by The Associated Press Posted Dec 18, 2018 9:24 am PDT Author Alice Walker criticized for support of writer’s book NEW YORK — Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Alice Walker and The New York Times are drawing fire after she praised an author who critics say expresses anti-Semitism and is a conspiracy theorist.In an interview in Sunday’s “By The Book” column, the 74-year-old author of “The Color Purple” said David Icke’s 1995 book, “And The Truth Shall Set You Free,” is on her nightstand. She said “in Icke’s books there is the whole of existence, on this planet and several others, to think about.”New York Times spokesperson Danielle Rhoades says the column is not a list of recommendations from its editors, and “the subject’s answers are a reflection on that person’s personal tastes, opinions and judgments.”A voicemail seeking comment was left with Miller’s representative.Icke is a British author.The Associated Press AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email
A man has been arrested after a second reported to police that he had been attacked and beaten with a bat.The injured man reported to police at 8.30pm on Sunday that he had been hit with the bat on his head by a 27-year-old man from Kiti.He said the attacker also caused damage to three cars parked on Andreas Thomas street in Kiti, where the attack took place.The injured man was transferred to the first aid department of Larnaca general hospital where he was diagnosed with bruises and kept in for treatment.An arrest warrant was issued against the 27-year-old and he was arrested on 2.30am on Monday.He is expected to be charged and released.You May LikeFigLeaf Beta AppHow to Become Fully Anonymous Online in Less Than 3 Minutes? Better safe than sorryFigLeaf Beta AppUndoYahoo SearchResearch Compact SUVs. New SUVs May Make You Want To Trade Yours In Today – See For Yourself!Yahoo SearchUndoPopularEverythingColorado Mom Adopted Two Children, Months Later She Learned Who They Really ArePopularEverythingUndo Pensioner dies after crash on Paphos-Polis roadUndoTurkish Cypriot actions in Varosha ‘a clear violation’ of UN resolutions, Nicosia saysUndoRemand for pair in alleged property fraud (Updated)Undoby Taboolaby Taboola
Police have detained a 50-year-old woman on suspicion of stealing €60,000 in cash that her father kept stashed in a saucepan at his home in Nicosia.The woman, who was remanded in custody for six days on Tuesday, was arrested in connection with the theft that took place between October 26 and 28.Reports said the woman denied any wrongdoing, claiming that her father suffers from dementia.The pensioner reportedly kept the cash in a saucepan, which he wrapped in a blanket and kept under his bed at all times. When he left the house, he carried the pot with him in a leather bag.He told police that on October 26 he opened it to take some money to buy meat and the cash was all there. Two days later he found the pot on the other side of the bed and the cash missing. The bag he used was also missing.The man immediately suspected his daughter since there were no signs of a break-in. His daughter had visited him the previous day to pick up her mother and take her to hospital.Police told the court the delay in the case was due to the time it took for genetic tests on the pot and the blanket on which forensics eventually isolated the suspect’s DNA.The pensioner also told police he suspected his daughter because she had been asking for cash recently and in the past some jewellery belonging to her mother had gone missing.You May LikeLuxury Crossover SUV I Search AdsThese SUVs Are The Cream Of The Crop. Research 2019 Luxury Crossover SUV DealsLuxury Crossover SUV I Search AdsUndoPopularEverythingColorado Mom Adopted Two Children, Months Later She Learned Who They Really ArePopularEverythingUndoWalk In Tubs | Search AdsSearch Walk In Tubs Rowland HeightsWalk In Tubs | Search AdsUndo Pensioner dies after crash on Paphos-Polis roadUndoCruise passenger airlifted to Paphos hospitalUndoRemand for pair in alleged property fraud (Updated)Undoby Taboolaby Taboola
The Paphos municipal council on Monday approved a proposal by the district’s bishopric to erect a cathedral in the gardens of the town hall despite strong protests by residents.The municipal council had rejected the proposal by a majority vote earlier this month, but the matter was brought back for discussion at the request of Edek councillors. This followed a letter sent by the Paphos bishop to councillors stating he was ready to compromise on the bishopric’s original plans.“I feel disgusted,” a Paphos resident told the Cyprus Mail right after the decision was taken.The proposal passed with 11 votes for, nine against and one abstention. Mayor Phedonas Phedonos and his deputy were among those in favour of the motion.Scores of Paphos residents had gathered on Monday afternoon outside and inside the town hall where the municipal council was meeting to discuss the Paphos bishopric’s proposal. Bishop Georgios of Paphos was also present.The decision was met by applause by those supporting the move and angry reaction by opposers who started chanting ‘You’ve sold out”.The most vitriolic comments were aimed at Edek whose change of stance was decisive in turning things around.The head of the Edek municipal group said he changed his mind after hearing the bishop saying he would accept the cathedral being built anywhere in the garden and was willing to discuss the size and design of the structure to conform to the neoclassical buildings in the area.The bishopric will now have to get permission from the Derogations Council and the Cabinet in order to obtain a building permit.Those opposed to the cathedral said they were furious with one of the Edek councillors, Philippos Philippou, who had voted in favour of constructing the cathedral despite his reassurances that he would not.Around 300, mainly supporters of the project, had gathered inside the meeting room where the municipal council convened at around 6 pm.Another 200 people – both supporters and critics of the project – holding posters gathered outside the town hall. Those in favour of the construction of the cathedral chanted a prayer and sang the national anthem.Last Sunday, the bishop called on his flock through a message read in churches of the district to attend the municipal council’s meeting “to defend Christianity”, the Cyprus Mail has learned.The disagreement began after the public gardens were returned to the owners, the church, when a long-term agreement expired in 2005. The church had rented it to the municipality on a long lease and instead of continuing the agreement, as the municipality had hoped, the church expressed a desire to build a cathedral on the grounds instead.The bishop had expressed his intent to apply for a building permit to use one third of the space to create a new cathedral (of around 730 square metres) in exchange for giving the municipality two thirds of the garden. A similar application was turned down in 2010.Paphos residents opposed to the idea have formed an opposition group, ‘Initiative in support of the preservation and protection of Paphos Municipal Garden’.“We cannot allow the destruction of the special character of the town centre,” said Akis Vladimirou, adding that there 150-year-old trees in that park.He added that the city centre already suffers by traffic congestion expressing concerns that a church would add to this problem.https://www.facebook.com/leandros.mavrommatis/videos/10155927612716831/ You May LikeDirectExposeWorld’s First Surviving Octuplets Are All Grown Up. Look At Them 9 Years LaterDirectExposeUndoBon VoyagedCelebrity Mega Yachts That Are Out Of This World – Step AboardBon VoyagedUndoTruthFinder People Search SubscriptionOne Thing All Liars Have in Common, Brace YourselfTruthFinder People Search SubscriptionUndo Pensioner dies after crash on Paphos-Polis roadUndoCruise passenger airlifted to Paphos hospitalUndoRemand for pair in alleged property fraud (Updated)Undoby Taboolaby Taboola
Tourist arrivals reached 434,578 in May 2019 compared with 450,495 in May 2018, a decrease of 3.5 per cent, the statistical services reported on Tuesday.For the period from January until May 2019 arrivals totalled 1,121,361 compared with 1,134,076 in the corresponding period last year, a decrease of 1.1 per cent.While figures went up slightly in January and February compared with the corresponding months last year, in March the first decline in four years was recorded, a drop of 11.5 per cent.Arrivals in April went up compared to the year before.Tourist arrivals from the United Kingdom decreased by 2.6 per cent in May 2019 compared with May 2018 and a decrease of 5.4 per cent was recorded for tourists from Russia. An increase of 7.8 per cent in arrivals from Sweden and 9.6 per cent from Israel were recorded.The UK continued to constitute the main source of tourism in May, with a proportion of 36.1 per cent while arrivals from Russia comprised 21.7 per with 5 per cent from Israel and SwedenFor the vast majority, 82.8 per cent of visitors, the purpose of their trip in May was holidays, for 10.2 per cent it was a visit to friends and relatives and 7 per cent said they travelled here for business.According to the statistical services, the data is obtained from the passenger survey which is conducted in the arrivals and departures halls in the airports of Larnaca and Paphos, as well as from administrative sources such as the monthly arrivals at ports.The survey covers all persons who pass through passport control at the ports and airports in the government-controlled areas.You May LikePopularEverythingColorado Mom Adopted Two Children, Months Later She Learned Who They Really ArePopularEverythingUndoLivestlyChip And Joanna’s $18M Mansion Is Perfect, But It’s The Backyard Everyone Is Talking AboutLivestlyUndoSmart Tips DailySeniors With No Life Insurance May Get A $250,000 Policy If They Do ThisSmart Tips DailyUndo Concern over falling tourism numbersUndoPensioner dies after crash on Paphos-Polis roadUndoCypriot tycoon launches ‘Bank of Cannabis’Undoby Taboolaby Taboola
Authorities on Wednesday issued warnings for the second day in a row for high temperatures and extremely high risks of fire.The risk of forest fires remains at a red alert since Tuesday, while the met service also issued a yellow warning alert anew.In an announcement, the forestry department called on the public to avoid actions that could cause a fire. Temperatures are expected to reach 41C inland, 35C in south and east coasts, 32C in the remaining coastal areas and mountains.The yellow warning will remain in place between 11am and 5pm. Vulnerable groups such as the elderly are advised to stay indoors during those times.The temperature is also forecast to increase on Thursday but fall on Friday and Saturday.If anyone sees smoke or fire near a forest they must immediately report it to 1407 or 112.You May LikeCalifornia Earthquake AuthorityReassurance for your refugeCalifornia Earthquake AuthorityUndoLivestlyChip And Joanna’s $18M Mansion Is Perfect, But It’s The Backyard Everyone Is Talking AboutLivestlyUndoPopularEverythingColorado Mom Adopted Two Children, Months Later She Learned Who They Really ArePopularEverythingUndo Concern over falling tourism numbersUndoPensioner dies after crash on Paphos-Polis roadUndoCypriot tycoon launches ‘Bank of Cannabis’Undoby Taboolaby Taboola
Categories: Leonard News,Leonard Photos Rep. Leonard and members of the House and Senate attend a joint committee hearing in Detroit.State Rep. Tom Leonard, R-DeWitt Township, and members of the House Commerce Committee and Senate Economic Development Committee hold a joint committee hearing on Jan. 15 outside the 2014 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.“The auto industry has been and continues to be a very important part of Michigan’s economy,” said Leonard, R-DeWitt Township. “I was pleased to learn more about the investments and innovations being made by our auto companies.”The hearing was scheduled as an opportunity to educate lawmakers and the public about Michigan’s role in the global automotive industry and what the state can do to further attract automotive jobs and investment.### 21Jan Leonard, fellow lawmakers hold joint committee hearing during Detroit auto show
Categories: News,Photos,Whiteford News,Whiteford Photos 26Oct Rep. Whiteford welcomes local pastor to lead House invocation State Rep. Mary Whiteford, right, welcomed Reverend Sarah Farkas, to the state Capitol to give today’s invocation for the Michigan House of Representatives. Farkas is a pastor at Rectify Church in Allegan and serves as chaplain for the Allegan County Jail. They were joined at the rostrum by Speaker Tom Leonard.
Categories: Bellino News 24May Bellino’s ‘spring cleaning’ proposal receives overwhelming House support The Michigan House Wednesday voted overwhelmingly to approve a plan sponsored by state Rep. Joe Bellino removing an unnecessary law from the books.Bellino’s plan removes a duplicative reporting requirement within the Office of Community Corrections. Submitted reports outlining funding requests were once received by the state, but that information is now redundant since it is submitted to the Legislature each year within the Michigan Department of Corrections budget.Bellino’s proposal is part of a bill package that he and his House colleagues have been working on to clean up state government and have it run more efficiently for the people of Michigan.“More often than not, regulations in state law are duplicative to others,” said Bellino of Monroe. “My plan, as well as plans sponsored by my colleagues in the Michigan House aim to get rid of unnecessary regulations to keep our government clean and limited.”House Bill 5997 now moves to the Senate for further consideration.
Categories: Kesto News,News Plan in bipartisan package approved in Michigan House voteA proposal from state Rep. Klint Kesto expanding criminal definition in instances where money changes hands was passed unanimously in a recent vote by the Michigan House.Kesto’s legislation, House Bill 6253, does not create any new crimes or strengthen penalties. It adds to definition within the Michigan Penal Code to include cryptocurrency as something of value when examining possible financial gain in crimes involving embezzlement. The proposal is one of six addressing digital currency in a bipartisan update to current laws.“We’ve seen an explosion in the use of digital currency and our laws need to be reflective of that use to make sure Michigan residents and consumers are protected,” said Kesto, of Commerce Township. “These are effective updates that will keep us tough on crime without adding crimes.”Cryptocurrency first started to appear in the United States in the early 1990s, but its popularity has taken off due to a surge in online business and the ease and unregulated nature of exchange. Several major merchants across the country now accept digital forms of currency. Cryptocurrency is not officially recognized as a form of money, so loopholes have naturally arisen in outdated current laws which specifically define a transfer of money or personal property in forms of crime.Kesto serves as chair of the House Law and Justice Committee, which heard testimony on the bills before unanimously advancing them to the full House in November.The six bills in the package, HBs 6253-58, now move to the Senate for consideration. 10Dec Rep. Kesto crafts essential updates to law with rise of digital currency