上海市水磨会所推荐

Maharashtra government to include compulsory self-defence classes in school curriculum

first_imgThe Maharashtra government is planning to bring self- defence as a part of the school curriculum in the state. Maharashtra Education Minister Vinod Tawde responded to an online petition filed by a women self-defence coach from Pune, Neha Shrimal about the same.About the petition filed by the self-defence coachIn the petition posted on Change.org in September last year, Shrimal had demanded to make self-defence training compulsory for all the schools in the state.The petition received over 1.37 lakh signatures in support of the demand. In the petition, Shrimal gave an example of how an 18-year-old girl fought off three men harassing her and handed them over to police in Birbhum in West Bengal.”In India, over 53 per cent of children face sexual abuse. Whenever any such incidence happens, we just look at police and legal system for help. We never imagine that a girl can also have power to deal with such situations, I believe that every child should be trained to protect themselves from an early age. I am asking Maharashtra Government to make self-defence training compulsory for all the students from 5th standard onwards,” Shrimal added.According to her, self defence was not martial arts, but a psychological, mental and physical preparedness to deal with any danger from undesirable elements.Vinod Tawde’s response to the petition In his online reply, Tawde said, “The first petition that I have received is from a Pune citizen and a mother, Neha Shrimal. Neha and 1.37 lakh citizens have asked me to make self-defence training compulsory for all the schools in Maharashtra. I have heard you and 1.37 lakh, citizens.”advertisement”Taking due cognisance of the petition, I am now considering running the programme and making it a part of the curriculum. We recently decided to introduce an hour-long sports session for school students. And we are planning to introduce self-defence as a part of these sessions. With this, we have decided to start mandatory self-defence training in schools,” he said.A senior official from the School Education Department confirmed to PTI that the state government is planning to bring self- defence as a part of schools’ curriculum in the state.He said the department was going through the raised issues on the online platform and they found merit in the petition.Therefore, the department was planning to seriously consider introducing the self-defence session in the curriculum.Read: CBSE Board Exam 2019: Class 10, 12 results to release early this year Read: Ancient language Maithili is on the verge of decline, government takes steps to revive its importancelast_img read more

Health officials confirm first flu death of this years flu season

first_imgHealth officials confirm first flu death of this year’s flu season August 21, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, Posted: August 21, 2019 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Health officials today confirmed the first influenza- related death of the 2019/2020 flu season in San Diego County.The county’s Health and Human Services Agency reported that a 74-year-old Chula Vista man died Aug. 15 due to complications from Influenza B. The man, whose name was withheld, also had additional medical issues, according to county health officials.The county tracks flu activity year-round during each flu season, which corresponds with the county’s fiscal year from July 1 to June 30. Health officials didn’t confirm the first flu death in each of the last two flu seasons until October.“Influenza deaths can occur at any time since influenza circulates throughout the year,” said Dr. Dean Sidelinger, the county’s interim deputy public health officer. “The elderly, pregnant women and those with underlyingmedical conditions are at higher risk of developing complications from influenza.”Since July 1, health officials have confirmed 106 flu cases throughout the county. At this time in the last two flu seasons, officials had confirmed just 26 cases in 2018 and 114 in 2017. The 2017/2018 flu season resulted in 342 flu-related deaths, the most since the county began tracking flu data nearly 20 years ago.The season’s flu vaccine will not be widely available around the county until September, according to local officials. Certain local pharmacies and health clinics may have the vaccine before then, however. Residents can check if the vaccine is available near them by searching their ZIP code at cdc.gov/flu/freeresources/flu-finder-widget.html.County health officials and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention strongly advise the annual flu vaccination for everyone 6 months and older, especially in demographics with a heightened risk of serious complications.Residents can take precaution against contracting the virus by frequently washing their hands, cleaning commonly touched surfaces and avoiding contact with sick people.“It’s important to practice good hand hygiene and stay home if you are sick to avoid infecting others,” Sidelinger said. “People should cover their mouth when causing and sneezing to prevent the spread of germs.” KUSI Newsroom last_img read more