上海最贵的总统套房

Mondelēz extends Cadbury production

first_imgA new Cadbury production line has opened at Mondelēz International’s site in Birmingham as part of a £75m investment. Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills Sajid Javid opened the new line on Friday (21 August) as the government pledged to make the Midlands “an engine for growth” for the UK economy.The new production line at Cadbury is part of a major investment in Bournville, announced last year. It will make Cadbury Roses and Heroes assortments and Cadbury Dairy Milk bars.The investment includes spend on equipment and people with a new training facility and benefits to apprentices and operators.Mary Barnard, president of Northern Europe at Mondelēz International, said: “Our £75m investment into Bournville is not just about new machinery; it’s also about investing in the people who work here. We welcomed the opportunity for Mr Javid to visit our new training facility and meet with apprentices and operators to hear first-hand about the new skills, knowledge and qualifications they are gaining.”Javid said: “I want every part of the UK to grow and do well. But for far too long, a lot of it has just been about the south east. The Midlands already has so much going for it, with great household names like Cadbury, so it has the potential and the people.”Javid said the plan is to add £34bn to the Midlands economy by 2030 and create 300,000 more jobs.Mondelēz International employs more than 4,000 people in the UK across nine sites.Bournville 24-hour output:1.2 million Cadbury Creme Eggs5.5 million blocks of chocolate10 million assortment units (Cadbury Roses and Heroes)More than 400 million Cadbury Dairy Milk ButtonsOver 1 million Wispa barslast_img read more

Serving up a new social order

first_imgFor nearly four centuries, Harvard University has educated young people — and fed them. When the University responded to the COVID-19 pandemic in March by curtailing on-campus operations and sending students home, it maintained the teaching but not the feeding. Both functions will be restored someday. But maybe not exactly as before. Food’s significance for social inclusion and equality is the main theme of “Resetting the Table,” an exhibit at the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography for which I was guest curator. Now that no one can gather around the exhibit’s central table — or any table at Harvard — I’ve been thinking about what past crises show about food and Harvard. Two earlier emergencies had different outcomes: the College’s use of food to enforce social hierarchy survived the American Revolution, but not World War II. It’ll be the second era’s more forthright reforms that we’ll need, moving forward.Once upon a time, Harvard students and faculty ate together, like a family. At meals, the faculty and president acted as kin and father, as if students were children who needed supervision. Students were younger on average than College students today and were considered intellectual apprentices. Meals were ways to remind them of their dependent status, even though, as free men, overwhelmingly white, they would eventually rank high. Although some students boarded out, the College discouraged this. Students could collect morning provisions from the Buttery and breakfast in their rooms, but other meals were eaten in common, at tables set with equipment, such as silver salt cellars, to mark community and ceremony. Exceptions to the College diet were granted only by petition. The authorities were scandalized, in 1723, when students were caught “going into town, on Sabbath mornings, to provide breakfasts.” (Everything has a history, even Sunday brunch.) Some cravings proved impossible to control. In 1759, students were permitted to hold private entertainments with rum punch, and no adult supervision, so long as the punch wasn’t too strong.Silver salt cellars were placed on student dining tables to mark community and ceremony. © President and Fellows of Harvard College Repository Harvard Art MuseumsStructured meals survived the College’s first major disruption, the American Revolution. For a time, students could model any dissatisfaction with Harvard food on Colonial protests of British policies. In 1766, when served rancid butter, students protested: “Behold our Butter stinketh!” They met, passed resolutions to walk out of breakfast, and did the walkout. The Corporation and Overseers demanded confessions and a pledge of future good conduct. So much for defying oppression within Harvard. Meanwhile, the Boston area was becoming a hotspot in the bigger rebellion. On May 1, 1775, 12 days after the battles of Lexington and Concord, the Massachusetts Committee of Safety (with executive power over the province) dismissed Harvard students early for summer vacation. The Massachusetts Provincial Congress then commandeered Harvard’s grounds and buildings for the Continental Army — 640 soldiers crammed into Massachusetts Hall. The College ordered students to reassemble in Concord on Oct. 4. There, faculty and students boarded in taverns and private homes. Tavernkeepers and householders acted in loco parentis, supervising the behavior of the young men they lodged and fed.By June 1776, Harvard could reoccupy its property, and College life resumed. After the war, the student body outgrew available accommodations within the Yard. By 1849, Harvard abandoned dining in common. Students (still all male, still overwhelmingly white) no longer considered themselves the social inferiors of the president and faculty. They were private gentlemen, with new emphasis on the social differences among them. Cambridge boardinghouses took anyone who could pay, but some students created private club tables to which members had to be elected. Students with even greater means lived luxuriously in private accommodations and ate at restaurants.,Social inequalities remained obvious even once dining in common was reinstated after 1874, with the construction of Memorial Hall and organization of the Harvard Dining Association. The association was essentially a club with membership fees. Its food service reinforced the status of Harvard’s white male undergraduates, who were served at table, as if at a restaurant. The waiters were predominantly African American men. “Mem Hall” had set menus, but also lists of extras for those who could afford oysters, imported cheeses, or other delicacies. The University tried to maintain this service through World War I, but Memorial Hall began to operate at a loss. It was closed in 1925. Food service continued for freshmen in the Harvard Union, now the Barker Center. Upperclassmen had to fend for themselves. They fared best if their family backgrounds gave them entrance to private clubs.Construction of the residential Houses restored a universal food service. The first two Houses, Dunster and Lowell, opened in 1930, and others at Harvard and Radcliffe eventually accommodated most undergraduates. House dining halls maintained table service with waiters, but offered full board for a fixed price, rather than clubby membership and pay-as-you-go. These developments mirrored what was happening at Harvard more generally, as it became more socially inclusive, more egalitarian. Students were now primarily citizens of the nation and, in a sense, of Harvard.Citizenship was crucial to food and eating at Harvard during World War II, once the U.S. entered the war against fascism. By May 1942, all U.S. civilians received ration books, with quotas for many foods, including sugar, coffee, butter, and meat. Harvard and Radcliffe food services had to calculate students’ rations into what could be bought and served. During the war, the Faculty Club economically served horsemeat (which lingered on the menu until the 1970s). Wartime labor shortages were even more transformative. Men who might have waited tables were drafted, volunteered, or did other war work. Some Houses hired waitresses; others used students as waiters.After the war, the Houses universally adopted cafeteria service, a more democratic way of eating. This development matched efforts to make Harvard more inclusive and egalitarian: admitting students on the G.I. Bill, blending Radcliffe’s female students into Harvard, and accepting more people of color and first-generation students. House dining halls were inclusive communities, collectives of equals. That was quite new at Harvard. It was prompted by U.S. policies — rationing, universal male conscription, Civil Rights legislation — that had no real antecedents, not even in the “revolutionary” era. The policies offered a minimum of redress for past inequities. That bare foundation never generated enough shelter from the fatal consequences of American racism. No one knows what a post-COVID world will look like. But at Harvard, as we decide how we will teach, when (and whom) we might feed, we have another opportunity to set a better table and a better example.Joyce Chaplin is the James Duncan Phillips Professor of Early American History. On July 1, Chaplin will be featured on the Harvard Museums of Science and Culture Connects podcast available here.last_img read more

Franklin County Summer Meal Program begins June 4

first_imgBrookville, In. — The Franklin County Summer Meal Program begins June 4 and runs through July 27, Monday through Thursday. Lunch is offered at the Franklin County High School Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The Laurel Public Library will host lunch from noon to 1 p.m. The program will NOT be offered during Fourth of July week.Students 18-years-old and under can receive a free lunch, adults can purchase a lunch for $3. The program is recommended for students in summer school, student-athletes or students participating in library programs. However, all students are encouraged to attend.The meals include, at a minimum, milk, fruits or vegetables, grain and meat or an alternative.last_img

Leicester City Owners Facing £323m Lawsuit For This Reason

first_imgOwners of the immediate past English champions, Leicester City, have been sued for a whopping £323m due to the money they owe the Thai government.Earlier on Monday, a criminal court in Bangkok reportedly accepted the case against King Power International.According to the popular news outlet known as Reuters, the said case is also being brought against executives of state-owned Airports of Thailand (AOT).King Power International, owned by Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and his family, have been accused of failing to pay the Thai government 14 billion baht (£323m) from the operation of a duty-free franchise it was awarded some 11 years (2006) as contained in the lawsuit initially filed in July.At a court hearing held on Monday, the Central Criminal Court in the Thailand capital of Bangkok accepted the case and stated that it would now take testimonies from witnesses in February 2018.RelatedFlowers Keep Pouring In at King Power Stadium After last Night’s TragedyOctober 28, 2018In “England”Condolence Register Opens at Leicester City for Crash VictimsOctober 30, 2018In “England”Ndidi, Iheanacho Ready For BangkokNovember 2, 2018In “England”last_img read more

‘We deserved to thrash Ghana more’ – Nigeria U20 coach Manu Garba

first_imgNigeria U20 team coach Manu Garba believes his team deserved to beat their Ghanaian counterparts in an international friendly played on Thursday. The match, held at the Tema Stadium, saw Ghana’s U20 side lose 2-0.  Musa Mohammed converted from the spot on 70 minutes after Black Satellites defender Yakubu Mohammed handled the ball inside the box. A second goal by Ifeanyi Matthew in added on time finished the Ghanaians. “I think we deserved to win the game. We had some good chances to win it with an even bigger margin,” Garba told Adom Sports. The Flying Eagles, who are on a training tour in Ghana and drew the first leg 2-2, thrilled fans at the Tema Stadium with their more organised display. “We were put under pressure at times by Ghana but I think we managed that quite well. But all in all, I think we played some good football and we deserved to win the game.” “The match against the Black Satellites offers us a good platform on which to test ourselves.”The game was organised for both teams who are slated to feature in this year’s African Youth Championship in Senegal. Nigeria are housed in Group A for the tournament and will play Congo, Cote d’Ivoire and hosts Senegal from 8-22 March, 2015. Ghana will play South Africa, Zambia and Mali in Group B for the tournament. Ghana’s starting XI: Mutawakilu Siedu-Kingsley Fobii, Patrick Asmah, Yakubu Mohammed, Stephen Anokye Badu, Paul Quaye, Richard Donkor, Yaw Yeboah, Isaac Quansah, Issah Abbas, Samuel Afful. Nigeria’s starting XI: Olorunleke Ojo -Musa Mohammed, Samuel Okon, Izu Omego, Abdul Ganiyu, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Akinjide Idowu, Obinna Nwobodo, Musa Yahaya, Taiwo Awoniyi, Usman Hassan.last_img read more