£4m in bank fines is donated to Navy’s charity The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity is to receive £4 million from the government, funded by fines levied on banks for manipulating the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) financial benchmark.George Osborne MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer, announced £2 million of funding for the charity on a visit to Portsmouth.£1 million will be spent on supporting personnel and their families through projects such as refurbishing family spaces in naval buildings at Gosport and the renovation of buildings in HMS Nelson in Portsmouth to provide accommodation for families. Another £1 million will fund other projects including including help for the Naval Families Federation, which provides support and guidance for Naval Service families.This morning Danny Alexander MP, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, announced a further £2 million to the charity to contribute to the rebuilding of the Drumfork Club, a community centre in Helensburgh, Scotland.George Osborne said:“It is fitting that the money paid in fines by people who demonstrated the poorest values in our society is used to support those who demonstrate the very best. Servicemen sacrifice so much to keep our nation safe and we will invest into projects such as refurbishing the Mess at HMS Sultan and renovating the Navy Mews so they can spend times with their loved ones when they are deploying.”The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity is the strategic partner charity of the Royal Navy. Advertisement 41 total views, 1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Tagged with: corporate Funding Libor recession Howard Lake | 30 January 2015 | News AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Libor fines donated to charitiesUntil this announcement, £35 million of Libor funding had been granted to military good causes in previous tranches, £60 million to support Armed Forces personnel, their families and veterans, and a further £10 million per annum which has been earmarked from 2015 to support the Armed Forces Covenant. About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.
A “Road Closed” sign blocks Simpson Avenue at the intersection of Fourth Street during work this week on the North End Drainage Project. Work to be completed during the week of Sept. 24-28:· The construction contractor, Feriozzi Concrete, will finish work on Simpson Avenue between Fourth Street and Fifth Street, restoring curb gutters and sidewalks. Work will then begin on Sixth Street between West Avenue and Bay Avenue.· Construction crews will continue installing drainage pipe on Seventh Street, working from Bay Avenue to West Avenue. · Paving crews will begin restoring the roads on Monday, starting on Fifth Street. Then they will pave from Second Street to Fifth Street between West Avenue and Bay Avenue. Project DesignSee Design Presentation for Detail
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The senior Southold Town Justice Court clerk resigned this week before facing allegations in Suffolk County court that she stole bail and other funds she had been tasked with managing, authorities said.Christine Stulsky will be arraigned Friday before Judge James Hudson, but prosecutors did not specify what charges she is facing for the alleged thefts.District Attorney Tom Spota said his investigators “found evidence of asset misappropriation” committed by Stulsky, whose duties also included the collecting and depositing fines generated by the closure of court cases.The 64-year-old New Suffolk woman, who has worked for north Fork town court for 34 years, is Southold town’s second-longest serving employee, according to The Suffolk Times, which first reported the story earlier this week.The Southold Town Justice Court handles over 5,000 matters annually, including traffic violations, criminal offenses, town code violations, landlord and tenant cases, civil actions and small claims actions, according to the town website.Spota said that the investigation, which includes an analysis of voluminous paper and electronic records, is continuing.
For credit unions, the core banking platform is the primary system of record for members and accounts, and arguably the most important technology choice. The right core strategy starts with understanding future expectations, current needs and what solutions are geared to your business model. Here are five things to consider when making your decision.How does your core system affect your member experience?Credit union members can have high expectations for personalized attention and customer service. Often, that’s the very reason they chose to establish a relationship with your institution. When your employees serve your members, what does the experience look like? When they look a member up in the system, do they pull up an account or an account holder? If your core is able to provide a snapshot of the account holder, every employee who interacts with a member has a holistic view of that member. This means your staff aren’t offering products and services that a member already has, or taking a long time to access the information they need to provide superior service. continue reading » 4SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The Nassau Regional Off-track Betting (OTB) Corp. dropped its controversial proposal to open a mini-casino in Westbury and vowed to search for another location after opponents sued the agency and tried to have the county legislature block the plan.“While we firmly believe that this site would have received all of the necessary approvals, it is clear that the level of opposition from the surrounding neighbors and their elected representatives no longer made the Fortunoff’s property a viable option consistent with NROTB’s long-term business model,” Arthur T. Walsh, attorney for the OTB, said in a statement Saturday.Nassau Coliseum, Jones Beach and Belmont Park racetrack have been among the most widely debated alternative locations, but it was unclear when the OTB would pick a new location. The OTB previously demurred on building the facility at the Race Palace in Plainview after neighbors complained.The Village of Westbury, the towns of Hempstead and North Hempstead, neighboring civic associations and Winthrop University Hospital had filed a lawsuit Friday against the Nassau OTB the in New York State Supreme Court in Mineola in an attempt to stop the agency from purchasing the former Fortunoff site at The Source mall. Four days prior, the Republican Nassau County Legislature leadership refused to vote on a Democratic proposal to replace the three-member OTB board backing the plan—but later joined the chorus of critics urging the gambling parlor be moved elsewhere.“The use of the former Fortunoff’s location appears that it would violate a town law governing the citing of OTB facilities,” Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray wrote in a letter Thursday to Nassau OTB Chairman Joseph Ciaro. “The town intends to enforce this provision.”Murray was referring to a law that bans gambling facilities—such as the 1,000 video lottery terminals (VLT), aka electronic slot machines—within 500 feet of a residence. OTB officials have maintained that New York State law exempts them from town zoning laws.North Hempstead town and Westbury village officials had joined the suit on similar grounds. The hospital in Mineola claimed that traffic from the site could slow ambulances and potentially risk lives as a result.“We believe that it will significantly increase traffic congestion in the area and in so doing will pose a serious health threat to local residents and surrounding communities,” John Collins, President and CEO of Winthrop-University Hospital, had said in a statement.Before the suit was filed, hundreds of residents packed the county legislature Monday to demand that the GOP majority take up a Democratic proposal to swap out the OTB board with members opposed to building a gaming parlor in Westbury. Presiding Officer Norma Gonsalves (R-East Meadow) refused to call the bill for a vote because it didn’t have enough support to guarantee passage. The crowd heckled the board as lawmakers tried to explain their position.“If we vote to remove this board, it kills the VLT parlor anywhere in this county,” said Legis. Richard Nicolello (R-New Hyde Park). “I believe that there is a place in Nassau County for a VLT parlor.”Among the things the frustrated crowd shouted back at the legislators was: “You’re a disgrace to Nassau County!”Then, a day before the lawsuit was filed, Gonsalves—who had yet to publicly take a position on the proposed gaming center—came out against the proposal. She issued a statement calling on the OTB to move the site, saying that it is “increasingly clear that an unbridgeable chasm exists between the parties on either side of this issue.”“There appears to be little likelihood that an amicable compromise can be found that would gain public support,” she said. “I believe we have arrived at the time when Off Track Betting must bow to the will of the people and consider abandoning its pursuit of the Fortunoff site.”On the other side of the county line, Brookhaven town officials and civic leaders opposed to a similar proposal by the Suffolk OTB to build an estimated $40-million, nearly 100,000-square-foot parlor on a vacant lot in Medford that the agency bought for $10 million. That parlor may open by next year. Nassau hopes its mini-casino could open as early as November.
Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionI am a little up set with the paper this morning [Feb. 3]. After a major news story broke yesterday [Feb. 2] with the GOP document being released, your front page led off with the flu cases on the rise. If I didn’t stop to read the small print, you would have never known that the Democrats tried to pull a fast one on the American people. It’s a shame that all news outlets are in bed with the liberals. Upstate New York is more Republican then you think. It’s only our inner cities that are liberal. But we are slowly chipping away at that. But as long as they have outlets like yours to try and bury it in small print, it only makes it a little harder.Steven Santore Sr.Ballston SpaEditor’s Note: The 1,033-word, three byline article appeared on the front page, above the fold, with a 40-point headline and two photos.More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusGuilderland girls’ soccer team hands BH-BL first league lossEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motorists
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
US regulators said Friday that they have authorized the emergency use of the experimental anti-viral drug remdesivir for treating coronavirus patients, saying that clinical trials have showed “promising results.””While there is limited information known about the safety and effectiveness of using remdesivir to treat people in the hospital with COVID-19, the investigational drug was shown in a clinical trial to shorten the time to recovery in some patients,” the US Food and Drug Administration said in a statement.The move, which will enable the drug to be used for those hospitalized with severe illness caused by the new coronavirus, is a “significant step” forward in battling the pandemic, Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar said in a statement. The company said it aims to produce at least 500,000 treatment courses by October, 1 million treatment courses by December and millions more in 2021, if required.Remdesivir was developed by US biopharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences as a possible treatment for Ebola, but it has not been licensed or approved anywhere globally.Clinical trials have been under way to confirm the effectiveness and safety of its use for coronavirus patients around the world, including Japan.The Japanese government is looking to fast-track its approval. The drug is expected to be available in Japan as early as this month, a government official said.Under the emergency use authorization, remdesivir will be distributed in the United States and administered intravenously by health care providers for patients with low blood oxygen levels as well as those needing oxygen therapy or more intensive breathing support such as a mechanical ventilator.More than 1 million people in the United States have been infected with the coronavirus, with the country’s death toll exceeding 64,000, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.Globally, there have been more than 3 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the virus, and more than 230,000 deaths.Topics :
sarah perez Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Tags:#cloud computing#Google#news#NYT#web Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Related Posts A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Dell has just released a customized version of Chromium OS, the open source code behind Google’s new operating system called Chrome, in a build designed specifically for Dell Mini computers. According to a blog post on the Dell Community site, several company employees were inspired create this custom version after seeing Engadget’s video showing Chrome OS running on a Vostro A860 netbook. After tinkering around with the code, they were able to create their own version of Chromium OS, complete with functional Wi-Fi drivers, and have made the build available for download as a USB key image file from the Direct2Dell blog. About Google ChromeAfter last week’s sneak peek at Google’s upcoming operating system dubbed Google Chrome OS, tech enthusiasts everywhere have been playing with the open source code which Google released to the community on the day of the press conference. This code, called Chromium OS, lets anyone take the basic building blocks of Google’s operating system and customize it for their own purposes. Going the open source route isn’t just an example of Google’s desire to “not be evil,” but protects the company from anti-trust, anti-competitive claims surrounding the new project – a project which is basically an OS that runs only one web browser: Google Chrome. In fact, Google’s browser is the operating system in its entirety. No desktop applications will be supported on this web-based, Wi-Fi only machine. As Google’s VP of Product Management, Sundar Pichai, said during the press event, if any other browser maker wants to build their own version of the OS using their own browser, they can. Since the launch of the Chromium OS source code, there have been a number of articles explaining how to run the operating system in a virtual machine on your own computer as well as how to boot the operating system from a USB flash drive. But up until now, these efforts have been steered by enthusiastic technology users and not those associated with any large computer manufacturer such as Dell. And while the Dell Chromium build isn’t exactly an “official” company product, it’s noteworthy for the fact that it was designed by company employees, posted publicly on a Dell website, and is customized to run specifically on Dell Mini computers.Dell’s Chromium OS Build According to the Dell blog post, the USB key image file (available here: http://linux.dell.com/files/cto) only works on Dell Mini 10v computers. Most importantly, the build makes the built-in Broadcom Wi-Fi adapter on these machines functional, a feature needed when running a web-based OS. After all, what good is a cloud operating system if you have to be tethered to an ethernet cable?The blog post includes instructions on how to copy the USB image file to a USB flash drive, but unfortunately the directions are aimed only at those who have access to another Linux machine. We’re not sure why Windows and Mac users couldn’t just modify the instructions found on this website to make their own Dell Chromium OS USB keys by substituting the Dell build for the one hosted on that site. In addition, if you’re interested in trying out the Dell version of Chromium OS, there are a couple of things you should know: You’ll need a hefty USB key drive – 8 GB minimum. It may take 5-10 minutes for the Chromium OS network connection manager to “see” the Wi-Fi access points. Some issues with the connection manager are still present. If it gets hung, reboot and try again. And by the way, there’s no “reboot” – you have to press the power button on the Mini laptop. The Dell build is unsupported and minimally tested – use at your own risk. If you’re still feeling brave, the download is available here. 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market