Addis Ababa: Ethiopia’s Army Chief of staff has been shot, Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed announced on television Sunday as the government said it had thwarted an attempted coup in a regional state of this Horn of Africa nation. Abiy took to national television in the early hours of the morning dressed in military fatigues and announced that army chief Seare Mekonnen had been shot, an AFP correspondent said. His condition was unknown. Also Read – Shahid Afridi joins ‘Kashmir Hour’ in military uniform Advertise With Us The internet was cut in Ethiopia, and more details were not immediately available. The United States embassy issued alerts about reported gunfire in the capital Addis Ababa, and violence around Amhara’s main city Bahir Dar. “The embassy is aware of reports of gunfire in Addis Ababa. Chief of mission personnel are advised to shelter in place,” the embassy said in one of its two alerts. Also Read – EAM Jaishankar calls on European Parliament President David Sassoli Advertise With Us Earlier, Abiy’s office announced that an attempted coup had taken place in Amhara, one of nine autonomous regions in the country. A statement from his office did not give details on who was believed responsible for the attack, the latest blow to his efforts to stabilise and reform the Horn of Africa nation. “The coup attempt in Amhara regional state is against the constitution and is intended to scupper the hard won peace of the region,” said the statement. “This illegal attempt should be condemned by all Ethiopians and the federal government has full capacity to overpower this armed group.” Advertise With Us No details were given of the targets of the attack in the second-most populous state in the country, headed by regional president Ambachew Mekonen. A journalist in the regional capital Bahir Dar told AFP shooting had begun shortly after sunset and continued for several hours before calming. Since coming to power in April 2018 after two years of anti-government unrest, Abiy has been hailed for his efforts to end the iron-fisted rule of his predecessors. He has embarked on economic reforms, allowed dissident groups back into the country, sought to crack down on rights abuses and arrested dozens of top military and intelligence officials. He also sealed a peace deal with neighbouring Eritrea, a longtime foe. But he has battled a surge in tensions between ethnic groups in the diverse country – usually over land and resources – leading to deadly violence in the nation of more than 100 million people. Over a million people have been displaced by the ethnic clashes, which analysts attribute to multiple causes, such as the weakening of the once all-powerful ruling EPRDF and different groups trying to take advantage of opportunities presented by the political transition. The coup attempt comes a year after a grenade explosion at a rally Abiy was addressing left two people dead.
AHMEDABAD: Days after the alleged murder of a Dalit deputy Sarpanch in Botad district of Gujarat, MLA Jignesh Mevani Monday claimed as many as 116 Dalit farmers in Kutch district are living under the “death threat”, and appealed to the state government to provide them security. He also alleged that some men from upper caste communities are preventing these Dalit farmers from taking possession of the land allotted to them for farming by the state government 35 years ago. Also Read – Chandrayaan-2 reaches nearer to moon with orbit change Advertise With Us He demanded security from the government for these farmers who are residents of Rapar and Bhachau talukas of Kutch. Referring to the alleged murder of Manjibhai Solanki recently, Mevani said that Dalits from Kutch district may get killed if they try to take possession of their own land. Solanki, 51, was allegedly beaten to death by nine persons near his village on June 19. Also Read – Shia Waqf Board claims right over disputed Ayodhya land Advertise With Us “Though Solanki had sought police protection fearing that he would get killed, no action was taken. Now, I have learned that 116 Dalit farmers of Kutch are facing death threats. I demand adequate police protection for them. We will see whether the state government wants to protect them or let them die,” Mevani said while addressing a press conference in Gandhinagar. Advertise With Us The Independent MLA said he had apprised state governor O P Kohli about the issue through a letter. “Though these farmers are the owners of the land as per revenue records, they could not take possession or start cultivation because some upper caste goons have captured the land. Dalits fear that they may get killed if they step on that land,” said Mevani, who represents Vadgam seat in Banaskantha district in the Gujarat Legislative Assembly.
Visakhapatnam: The outgoing GVMC Commissioner M Hari Narayanan said on Tuesday that working in Visakhapatnam was a great experience. At a farewell function held in the city, Hari Narayanan expressed satisfaction over his stint in the city stating that he had focused more on drinking water and sanitation, among other areas. He exuded confidence that his successor G Srijana would discharge her duties efficiently as she had experience as Joint Collector in the district. Speaking on the occasion, Srijana lauded the services of Hari Narayanan for the city, undertaking various projects.
Hyderabad: Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao’s constituency Gajwel topped the list with over 70,000 members in the membership drive taken up by the party during the last one month. Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) working president K T Rama Rao reviewed the membership drive of the party at Telangana Bhavan on Friday. The party had started its membership drive on June 27 and had fixed a target of 60 lakh members including 50,000 from each Assembly constituency. Also Read – Hyderabad: Intermediate student dies of cardiac arrest in class Advertise With Us According to sources, while many showed interests in taking the membership in the villages, there was poor response from the city. Rama Rao asked the party leaders to complete the target by July 30 and send the data to the party head office on the same day. Two constituencies including that of TRS chief K Chandrashekar Rao’s Gajwel and Palakurthy (E Dayakar Rao) topped the list with over 70,000 members. Also Read – Vemulawada school seized after road accident Advertise With Us The in-charges informed the TRS working president that so far 40 lakh members have been enrolled and added that the membership was still going on in the districts. The data of about 20 lakh members was digitised so far and remaining would be finished by July 30. Rama Rao enquired about the details of membership and also the digitisation of data of each constituency. Advertise With Us He said the insurance would be implemented from August 1 hence he wanted the leaders to complete entire digitisation by July 30. If the details are accurate there will be no issues with the insurance claims, he told the in-charges. Sources said that the TRS leader wanted good numbers from the towns since there are municipal elections soon. Rama Rao asked the party in-charges who have completed the membership targets to concentrate on formation of committees in villages and asked them to give 51 per cent representation to weaker sections. He also wanted the party leaders to form booth committees in municipalities. TRS leader Palla Rajeshwar Reddy said the in-charges have been asked to send the membership details to data centres. He said the response for the membership was good because Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao was implementing good works like providing drinking water through Mission Bhagiratha, welfare activities, irrigation projects and etc. Because of the projects, there is no water crisis even in the drought conditions, said Rajeshwar Reddy. He said that so far Rs 15 crore was received in the form of membership fee. All the members including primary and active would be getting accidental insurance cover. The TRS leader said in about 10,000 constituencies the membership crossed 60,000 and in 20 constituencies it touched over 50,000. After formation of committees, the leaders would be given training.
Colombo: Sri Lanka’s Attorney General Department has admitted that it failed to provide advises to the Terrorism Investigation Division regarding possibilities of banning the local Islamist extremist group National Thowheed Jamat (NTJ), its website and social media accounts, according to a media report. The NTJ has been blamed for the Easter Sunday bombings, the country’s worst terror attack that killed 258 people at three churches and three luxury hotels in Colombo on April 21. The NTJ was led by firebrand cleric Zahran Bin Hashim, the mastermind of the attacks who blew himself up at the Shangri La hotel in Colombo. Senior Deputy Solicitor General Sumathi Dharmawardena and Senior State Counsel Abdul Malik Aziz while testifying before the Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) probing the Easter Sunday bomb attacks admitted that the AG Department failed to provide information to the CID on banning the NTJ and its websites,” the Daily Mirror reported. Also Read – UK, EU Brexit teams to meet twice-weekly in September Advertise With Us It was revealed before the PSC that the department officials spent two years since 2017 to prepare a report related to the requests made by the TID and it had been completed on May 21, exactly one month after the deadly attacks. Senior Deputy Solicitor General Dharmawardena and Senior State Counsel Abdul Malik Aziz said the letters sent by the TID only asked about banning Zahran’s websites and Facebook account, the daily said. There are no provisions in Sri Lanka to ban websites according to the current cyber security laws, they stated. Also Read – Climate change: Australia downgrades outlook for Great Barrier Reef to ‘very poor’ Advertise With Us Responding to a question raised by Parliamentarian M A Sumanthiran whether they received any letter from the TID seeking advice to get on with investigations on NTJ, the two representatives from the AG’s Department said they did receive a letter from the TID in 2017 and received another in 2018. “The TID request contained 63 pages. The TID had sent some printouts of a website. Since there are no cyber laws in Sri Lanka to ban websites, the AG Department did not reply” Dharamasena said. “They (the TID) sent us printouts of documents downloaded from a website. After studying them Senior State Counsel Malik Azis invited them for a meeting at the Department on March 12, 2019. After a lengthy consideration it was found that there were no evidence to take action against the website,” he added,. Advertise With Us The Additional Solicitor General revealed that had the police reported violent incidents that took place in the Kattankudy area to the Kattankudy Magistrate court and then indicted them before the Batticaloa High court, the file may have been sent to the AG’s Department. He said that police did not sought advice regarding banning of website and the Facebook account. Dharmawardena said the police did submit a report on the matter but it was not complete. It was also mentioned that the AG’s Department failed to ask for an update on NTJ and its activities.
New Delhi: Hearing petitions filed before it concerning the crackdown and restrictions in Jammu and Kashmir, the Supreme Court observed on Tuesday, “The present situation in Jammu and Kashmir is very sensitive and it should be ensured that there is no loss of life there.” The Centre replied it was reviewing the situation in Kashmir on a day-to-day basis. Also Read – Enforcement Directorate summons Karnataka Congress leader D.K. Shivakumar Advertise With Us Representing the government in the case, Attorney General K K Venugopal said, “We have to ensure that the law and order situation in J&K is maintained.” Referring to the agitation in Kashmir back in July 2016 after the encounter of terrorist Burhan Wani, the government informed the apex court that it would take some days to restore normalcy. The bench refused to give immediate directions on a plea for lifting several restrictions including communication in J&K. The court has asked the centre to ensure normalcy in the state and the matter would be taken up for hearing after two weeks.
A Class 5 student suffered an eye injury after the teacher allegedly thrashed him at Bandlaguda under Rajendranagar police station limits on Thursday. On learning the issue, the parents of Ganesh rushed to the Krishnaveni Talent school and staged a protest against the school management. However, the school principal pacified the student’s parents and made them withdraw the protest. In a similar case, a Class 3 student was allegedly beaten up by the school principal who noticed the boy teasing his classmates. The boy suffered minor bruises on his thighs. Based on the complaint lodged by the boy’s parents, the police registered a case against the principal.
Gandhari (Kamareddy): Amidst police bandobast, urea fertilisers have been distributed to farmers at Gandhari headquarters on Thursday.Normally each crop will have a special time for cultivation. But with the delayed rains during Kharif season, a special situation came where all crops need the urea at the same time and equal amounts. This led to urea shortage.When urea stock reached Gandhari mandal, a large number of farmers rushed to the spot. Police were called to control the formers at the urea sales centre.The police made the farmers to stand in a queue and each was given two bags of urea. The shortage of urea hit Gandhari mandal farmers severely. Traders are allegedly blocking urea due to shortage.